June 12 - Happy Anniversary #42 - PedalPushin 2024 - CycleBlaze

June 12, 2024

June 12 - Happy Anniversary #42

Heart 0 Comment 0

Well I DO know where I was 42 years ago and it wasn’t cycling.  Instead the day started with some target shooting followed by a tuxedo and a wedding ceremony at 6:00 pm.  Now 42 years later, we spent the day driving from Fairbanks to Anchorage with a constant rain for the first 5 hours.  We opted to skip cycling at Denali National Park, and on the Denali Highway but did opt to stretch our legs on the road in and out of Talkeetna.

Proof that 2 Ice Adventure 20’s will fit folded into a Ford Escape … escape seems like a fitting term.
Heart 0 Comment 0
29 miles of drizzle, temps in the low 50’s and well worth the fun.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Talkeetna is a small tourist based collection of buildings that is also the jumping off spots for expeditions and individuals wanting to climb Mt. McKinley, aka Denali.  This time of year the Alaska Railroad also stops in town which causes a fairly constant flow of tourists wandering the few blocks of building.

70’s music, Tibetan prayer flags, wandering tourists and pizza.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

For us, Talkeetna has a nice 14 bike path that follows the road and it separated for 95% of the ride.  Today it also awarded us 29 miles of drizzle in and out but there is a 70’s era pizza place where you can get a hot bite to eat while listening to 70’s era music with Tibetan prayer flags waving over your head and you get to watch the tourists walk back and forth.

Can’t do “hippie” without the required VW bus
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 29 miles (47 km)
Total: 4,911 miles (7,903 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Bob DistelbergCongratulations on 42! My wife and I just celebrated our 42nd last week as well.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago