To Rome - My love you didn't need to coax - CycleBlaze

October 14, 2024

To Rome

our travel day is here (and over thankfully)

The process of organizing for our cycle tours is not getting any easier. Previous trips provide important guidance of the activities that need to be done but it can be tiring completing the numerous tasks. Fortunately the wonderful  experiences gained while touring make it all worthwhile. But as we get older, we wonder will our energy to organize self sustaining  bike rides  end? Will we become Backroads tourers? Not this time!

The gear bags were filled and zipped closed, the bike suitcases loaded and latched tight and the taxi was scheduled for a 06:30 pick up. We are both excited and anxious to get the plane time behind us and get to the best parts of travel. Jet lag will be next obstacle to be managed.  We have planned three days in Rome to see the sights and get oriented.

 Our flights went exactly as planned and our baggage all arrived on time, too. From the Rome airport we had thought that we would take a train into the city and then take a cab to the hotel. When walking to the train station we  passed a sign  advertising a shared shuttle service for a fixed rate of 20 euros each. This seemed to simplify the transit need as we would avoid having move our mountain of baggage multiple times. It was a funny system where the shuttle service was really just a reseller of large taxi vans. So eight of us that had all bought in were loaded into the taxi and comfortably taken to our hotels. Ours was the first stop. With an early checkin we were flat out snoozing by just after one o`clock. Our travel had all gone very well.

In  the late afternoon we left our hotel to explore the nearby sights. When in Rome, this was clearly the thing to do on this warm afternoon. The streets were busy with tourists. We enjoyed a dinner of pasta and salad in one of the many busy outdoor street restaurants before wandering the streets back home.

Many buildings in Rome are getting a facelift for Jubilee 2025. This is a gate to the colosseum. The Jubilee or Holy Year is the period during which the Pope grants absolution from all sins to all the faithful who travel to Rome and participate in the planned religious initiatives.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Just down the block we were at the colosseum. It is a marvel for sure.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Piazza Venezia in Rome makes for a striking skyline.
Heart 3 Comment 0
There are many historic archeological sights. They often seem to appear randomly as we walk about - with a foundation, wall or large pillars still standing intact.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another skyline view. Very pretty in the late day sun.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The traffic in Rome is busy and fast. Scooters all take the front positions at red lights. We are never quite sure where pedestrians or cyclists fit into the mix.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Trevi Fountain is a very popular area even when under repair. It is being cleaned now. One article stated that daily, when open, they collect three thousand euros in coins.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On the way back to the hotel. It is even more amazing at night.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Bill ShaneyfeltMemories!
My youngest daughter graduated from John Cabot U. in 2006. We spent a week there for the festivities. Our hotel room was a block or 2 from the Colosseum.
Reply to this comment
14 hours ago
Rachael AndersonYou sure have had some amazing experiences! How great that your daughter got to study there and you got to go to the graduation.
Reply to this comment
11 hours ago
Rachael AndersonWhat a great start to your tour! Rome is an amazing place.
Reply to this comment
11 hours ago
Kathleen ClassenWe are still in the Vancouver airport waiting for our Victoria flight and your journal has me wanting to hop a flight to Italy!
Reply to this comment
4 hours ago