Moosburg to Ebersberg - A Ring around Munich - CycleBlaze

October 9, 2024

Moosburg to Ebersberg

It rained heavily during the night, but we were greeted by blue skies in the morning and the air was still mild. Our bikes were out back behind the hotel in what looked like a seldom used beer garden. We had hidden our bikes behind a disarray of tools, broken chairs and bicycles wanting repair. A charming note was a wall painting on the garage, we felt like we were in Greece. 

Wall painting: For a moment I thought we were in Crete.
Heart 7 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraThis whole photo looks like a painting. Surreal. It's a strange optical illusion.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago

The first thing on our agenda was a look at Moosburg. We encountered a lot of road construction, cobblestones and traffic on our way to the church of St. Kastulus. Its late gothic altar is noteworthy. Otherwise I only got one shot of anything in Moosburg while dodging traffic and pedestrians. However I did manage to find a bakery for some rolls with ham and cheese for the road.

Entry with patina
Heart 6 Comment 0
Interior of St. Kastulus with late gothic high altar
Heart 5 Comment 3
Karen PoretAlter or altar? Which is correct? I would think alter is to “adjust”, and altar is a structure. Thank you!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Karen PoretThank you, Karen! Obviously not a typo on my part. I consistently spelled it wrong, each time. Actually in German it's Altar, too. But sometimes I get my languages confused. For example calendar in English is Kalender in German.
I have now altared it - I mean altered it! :)
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Karen PoretTo Suzanne GibsonThank you for letting me know the differences on your end. I know you are an 🇺🇸 born, but 🇩🇪 resident here. There are more important issues to be concerned with, but grammar is my “ sticking point”. 👌
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Church tower of St. Kastulus
Heart 5 Comment 0

Moosburg is situated on the Isar as is Munich. But we weren't on our way home yet and ignored the Isar bike path.

Crossing the Isar, St. Kastulus and St. Johannes barely visible in the background
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking back to Moosburg's towers of St. Kastulus and St. Johannes
Heart 4 Comment 1
Karen PoretSuch vibrant colors!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago

The first 15 kilometers of the day are the least pleasant of our trip so far. Our route takes us on a road with fast traffic and trucks and alternately a bike path next to it. We are relieved when we veer off onto small roads through villages. Moosburg and the first kilometers leaving Moosburg haven't been up to par with the rest of the trip so far.

I took the high road, and Janos took the low road. He is just visible in the distance. Unfortunately I soon had to leave the highroad for the highway.
Heart 3 Comment 0
When we had a bike path, it was lovely.
Heart 5 Comment 0
A beautiful time of year when the sun is shining
Heart 9 Comment 0
Corn fields before and after
Heart 3 Comment 0
We saw white and yellow canola.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The field of canola was very fragrant.
Heart 2 Comment 0

In Eichenhofen we pass St. Ägidius. We stop for a snap of the characteristic onion dome steeple. Now that we are on small roads through towns it is much more interesting. Unfortunate for these small rural towns is that they are under the flight path to the Munich airport and no amount of protest is going to rid them of the air and noise pollution in the near future.

We now follow the Sempt river to Erding. Erding is immediately appealing with its spacious pedestrian zone and attractive facades. Originally I wanted to book a night here, but Erding is close to Munich's airport and the prices seemed a bit ridiculous.

In Eichenhofen: The sign says parking for the priest, not in the picture is the next sign reserving parking for the choir director.
Heart 5 Comment 0
We are following the meanderings of the Sempt.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Entering Erding through its late gothic city gate, Schöner Turm, literally "Beautiful Tower"
Heart 6 Comment 2
Karen PoretIronically, the building on the lower right appears to say “heaven”..
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Schrannenplatz with the Schrannenhalle, the tower belongs to the St. Johannes church. A Schrannenhalle was a grain market in earlier times.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Time for a break: We find seats at a cafe and along with many others delight in the warm autumn sun.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraAh....Germany......
Reply to this comment
1 week ago

Now it's time to mention a challenge that I am taking part in, the Coffeneuring Challenge. Some of you might already be familiar with it from the Bicycle Life section of CGOAB. Here is a brief rundown on what it's all about (if you don't feel like clicking the link):

  • between October 6 through November 18, 2024,
  • ride your bike 7 times,
  • to at least 6 different places (you can repeat 1!)
  • at least 2 miles round trip every time,
  • drink 7 total cups of coffee (or another fall-type beverage), and
  • document your coffeeneuring (either photos, Strava tracks, journal entries, control card, etc.) just in case the Coffeeneuring Challenge Committee and the ever-striving Intern ever conduct an audit.

We had our own version of the challenge on Bicycle Life which Kathleen Jones administered and I took part in in 2017, before I left CGOAB. (Just this year I had the pleasure of meeting and touring with Kathleen.) It was loads of fun and really got me back into regular touring again. So now back to Erding. We are making regular tea/coffee stops on this tour as it is the first week of the challenge and provides a good opportunity to do some coffeeneuring. (I'll be documenting it on my blog which is otherwise totally neglected.)

Coffee, tea and cake time - again
Heart 5 Comment 6
Nancy GrahamBeautiful!! You should also post this as ride #1 on fb for all the other ‘neurers’ to see. I am indeed loving you tour Suzanne and so happy to have it to read and enjoy your photos.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Nancy GrahamNancy, do you mean the Coffeeneuring group on FB or our Cycle 365 group? Where are you documenting your rides?
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Nancy GrahamTo Suzanne GibsonI post my challenge rides on the fb group pages. It’s fun to read others’ posts and beverages ;’-). I will post on my personal blog but not until I am either half way or all the way so I can keep it in one place together on the blog - if that makes sense 🙄.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Nancy GrahamTo Nancy GrahamThat’s the Coffeeneuring Group fb page.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Suzanne GibsonThanks, Nancy!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Kirsten KaarsooThe cake with whipped cream looks delicious. I do enjoy hot drinks and German cakes. :)
Reply to this comment
1 week ago

After our stop for refreshments we agreed to have a look at the church. Somehow we both headed off to different churches. I couldn't understand why Janos wasn't in there while I was looking around and taking pictures. Eventually he called me on his phone and we got it straightened out.

St. Johann, late gothic. Unfortunately it wasn't possible to get close to the altar for better pictures. Let this suffice to give an impression.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The church is crowded between othe buildings, thus only partial views of the exterior.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Two bikes reunited at the St. Johannes church
Heart 4 Comment 0

We now have flat agricultural country, the sky is blue and the riding is good. We pass through small towns, or past signs to them: Pretzen, Wörth, Breitötting, Sonnendorf, Ottenhofen... Ottenhofen rings a bell. That's where we bought our Bike Fridays 15 years ago. We decide to detour to Ottenhofen to see if Andreas Seilinger of Traumvelo is home.

Almost feels like spring.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraLove the contrails....I see your point about being near a flight path.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Good roads, few cars
Heart 4 Comment 0
Bike portrait with canola
Heart 4 Comment 0
Kind of windy, crosswinds for us
Heart 7 Comment 1
Kathleen JonesThose trees look almost like a pencil sketch.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago

This was indeed a highlight of our tour. Andreas was there, he recognized the older versions of customers he knew in 2009 and even remembered Janos's name (he might have forgotten mine). His business survived Covid and he is a busy man, computer work consuming far too much time that he would rather be spending working on bikes. His specialties are recumbents, trikes, tandems and cargo bikes and he reminded us that perhaps someday we might be interested in trikes when we no longer felt safe on two wheels. Let's not think that far ahead.

Andreas, me and Janos (a little fuzzy) 2024
Heart 10 Comment 0
Janos, Andreas and me 2009
Heart 8 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesYou look virtually the same! Must be clean living.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago

Then more farm country and the last ten kilometers through the Ebersberger Forst, a straight and monotonous bike path next to the highway, plenty of traffic whizzing by.

The Alps are visible in the distance.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The path isn't exciting, but we are thankful that it exists.
Heart 7 Comment 2
Karen PoretThe leaves ARE exciting :)
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Kirsten KaarsooTo Karen PoretI agree. They are so dramatic with the contrast.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
I spot mushrooms and take pictures through the fence.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Our hotel is a little outside of Ebersberg and we have a 15-minute wait for check-in. For the evening meal there is a Croation restaurant down the road, we don't feel like going any further and the food is fine. 

Heavy rain predicted for tomorrow.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 188 km (117 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Tricia GrahamIt is great that you can have such a lovely trip just leaving from your own front door. It reminds me how much we enjoyed Munich and the countryside around it
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Tricia GrahamYes, we have it good!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago