The Palace of Gold - Mountain Jam - CycleBlaze

May 27, 2024

The Palace of Gold

Nestled in the Hills

Back a long time ago, a fellow named Donald Lemmon used to lead Wheelmen rides to the Palace of Gold. Back then, my perception was that most of the riders who rode with the group were racers. Since I wasn’t, I never joined them. But making time to see the place was on my bucket list, so today I finally checked it off.

From the Western Pennsylvania Wheelmen newsletter, called the "Cycling Circular," is a listing for Donald Lemmon's ride to the Palace of Gold. The date is October 1989.
Heart 0 Comment 0

All day rain was the forecast, as late as yesterday afternoon. A strong thunderstorm, with tornado warnings, rolled through in the early evening. By morning, the rain subsided, the sun came out, and I decided to go for it. Turned out to be a dry ride and a good decision. From Wheeling, I headed South on the National Road.

The National Road rolls on ahead, out of Wheeling.
Heart 0 Comment 0

At Elm Grove, the main road (SR-88/US-250) is crossed and the name changed to Kruger. Shortly thereafter, the first of several Wheeling Creek crossings began the quieting down that is always appreciated during a ride. The road changed names a few times, each change continued the progression to a peaceful country road called Big Wheeling Creek. It happened to be running alongside a stream with the same name.

Rolling along on Big Wheeling Creek Road (BWCR).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wild onion (red) going to flower and seed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Prickly lettuce, along the roadside. Thanks to Bill Shaneyfelt, for identifying the plant.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Homesteads along the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More flora on the way to the palace.
Heart 0 Comment 0

BWCR left the stream bed and began to climb. Most of it was gradual. The palace and the community complex is on the top of a hill called McCreary’s Ridge. So, the climbing becomes more challenging as one gets closer to it.

A few words about the little compound. It was established by the Hari Krishnas around 1968. Since that time, impressive structures have been built, including a temple, the Palace of Gold, and a community of worshippers with housing, gardening, and farming. The area is called New Vrindaban.

It’s not easy to get there!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Historical sign #1.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Historical sign #2.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Historical sign #3.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Historical sign #4.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Upon arriving, I checked in at the visitor center, was welcomed, and had very few (if any) restrictions placed on my presence. Although it is Memorial Day, there were quite a few people of Indian descent visiting. I suppose it makes sense. Memorial Day is a 3-day weekend, there is time to travel to this place of comfort and familiarity. I saw license plates from several states that are within a day’s drive from here. Some photos of my self-guided tour follow.

Sign on BWCR.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coming into the community complex. Note the cattle in the enclosure above and on the left.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the compound.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the temple.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the temple.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the temple.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the temple.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shoes left at the door when entering the temple.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Car parked on the grounds of the compound.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Albino Peacock. The sounds these birds make is quite distinctive. A fellow touring the place told me it reminds him of his home in India, where the birds and the sounds are commonplace .
Heart 0 Comment 0
Structure on the grounds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Peacock enclosure.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yours truly at the Palace of Gold.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful flower gardens inside the Palace walls.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The kind and hospitable photographer and guide who invited me inside the Palace walls.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More gardens and my photographer below. He advised me that the Lotus Flowers would be blooming next month.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Palace of Gold.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the Palace.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Lions were impressive.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Deck with view of the Palace and surroundings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A map given to me upon entering the complex.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I returned to Wheeling by the same route, except that I used the Heritage Trail, instead of the now busy National Road, for the final few miles. Some additional photos follow.

Neat abandoned railroad bridge near the intersection of BWCR and Caldwell Hill Road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice cut through this Pine Tree to accommodate the wires.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Elm Grove trailhead of the Wheeling Heritage Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0

This was a good ride. The visit to the site was enhanced by some friendly folks who took the time to explain some things to me. Tomorrow, I’ll tackle another Donald Lemmon destination.

Today's ride: 27 miles (43 km)
Total: 440 miles (708 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0