What we're up to now - A Cycleblazer Moselle Quartett - CycleBlaze

What we're up to now

Fun with friends

Months ago, even before we had embarked on our tour in Portugal and Spain with its sobering finish, we were already making plans for another little ride with friends from CycleBlaze. The occasion was Kathleen Jones' visit to Germany to visit her brother. I know Kathleen from crazyguy days but have never met her in person. Not only were Janos and I looking forward to meeting Kathleen, Susan Carpenter was too. We were lucky that Susan, Kathleen, and Janos and I found a time and place that would work out for all of us for a week together on our bicycles.

The logistics involved finding a starting point that all three of us could access without too much stress. Metz, France, not far from the German border, worked for Susan arriving by train from Paris, it was also convenient for Kathleen taking the train from a small town in Germany's Saarland, and for us it's an easy day's drive. If you have read our last journal, you know we aren't doing multi-day car rides any more.

Starting in Metz, we will continue clockwise along the Moselle to Trier and loop back along the Saar.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tripoint is one of those words that I discovered while trying to translate the more common word in German Dreiländereck.

A triple border, tripoint, trijunction, triple point, or tri-border area is a geographical point at which the boundaries of three countries or subnational entities meet. ~Wiki

The borders of France, Luxembourg and Germany meet in Schengen, at the end of our ride on the first day.

Update - and then came the rain

That was the plan. In the meantime the weather has been threatening our tour along the Moselle and Saar and there has been heavy flooding in exactly the region where we want to ride our bikes. You might have read the Bartletts' journal here on CycleBlaze. A few days ago the Bartletts were  exactly where we intend to be in less than a week from now - and the bike paths were under water!

We still plan to meet in Metz on May 25, but have cancelled all our bookings along the Moselle and the Saar, the Saar being particularly hard hit. 

We will be playing it by ear now so stay tuned. We will have to see if the bike paths are open and also what turn the weather will take. We don't need more rain!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Steve Miller/GrampiesI suppose you could always add snorkels to your list, but really hope you can find a route that does not require such extreme measures. Wishing you dry weather and smooth paths.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Suzanne GibsonThanks! This is going to be a challenge in being flexible, requiring day to day decisions and finding accommodations on short notice.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Nancy GrahamWell, you seem to be Cycle Blaze Central of Europe. How fun to now have another member join you for riding. I sure hope your water weather will clear up for you. Playing it by ear can be exciting or frustrating, depending ;’-).
Have a great tour and I will of course be following along.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Nancy GrahamWe're going to have fun, rain or not!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Rachael AndersonDarn weather! I hope the weather improves for your meet up.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Rachael AndersonMe too! Still rain in the forecast, though.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Karen PoretTo Suzanne GibsonThe only flexibility for us is to keep those rain legs dry..We are STILL waiting for the rain to ease up..it is a daily hope, but not likely..Neither Netherlands nor Belgium..And, then, of course the opposite weather is at home in CA..extreme hot. :(
Reply to this comment
3 months ago