Pont-à-Mousson - Metz - A Cycleblazer Moselle Quartett - CycleBlaze

June 28, 2024

Pont-à-Mousson - Metz

Let's start with a small tour of the Abbaye des Prémontrés, where our hotel is located. Classified as a historical monument in 1919, the Abbey was built between 1705 and 1735 by two Premonstratensian architects, and is a beautiful example of baroque monastic architecture. 

The Premonstratensian community of Sainte-Marie-aux-Bois arrived in Pont-à-Mousson around 1608 and built the majestic abbey a century later. In the 19th century, the abbey was used by a minor diocesan seminary before serving as a civilian and military hospital beginning in 1912. The building was heavily damaged in 1944. In 1964, after considerable reconstruction, the abbey became a cultural centre for diverse activities.

The refrectory, now breakfast room for the hotel's guests, is prepared to serve large groups.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Support and adornment for one of the three ornate staircases of the abbey.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Jane RipkenHolding up a staircase is hard work!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Cloister walk
Heart 6 Comment 1
Karen PoretAll that beauty to contemplate the prayers of those who lived in religious silence.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
There are three gardens. This is the Scent Garden, le Jardin des Senteurs, and the air was heavily laden with the smell of lavender.
Heart 7 Comment 0
The abbey houses an amazing exhibit of historical mechanical instruments.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A beautifully dislayed collection of grammophones, and there was much more.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There are three staircases, the oval staircase, the round staircase and the square staircase. This must be the oval one.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Karen PoretAren’t you glad you don’t have to lug your bike up this? ;)
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Le Jardin de la Cour d'honneur - the French garden
Heart 1 Comment 0

1I have many more pictures, too many for here, and we didn't even see half of what there was to see. A self-guided audio tour was available, but it was time to get on the road for our last day of cycling.

Janos drove the car to Metz, it wasn't going to get there by itself, and decided not to cycle to meet us today since it would entail cycling the city's streets on the way out and back, not so much fun. I met Susan and Kathleen on the bike path at 10:30 and we were off. Today was again grey and chilly, we had some short spells of rain, enough to make it worth while to put on the rain jackets but not enough to get soaked. Not bad considering we thought the whole tour might get rained out!  

Waiting for my pals, the wall outside of their lodgings
Heart 4 Comment 0
Smiles
Heart 2 Comment 0
and more smiles
Heart 3 Comment 0
Bicycles that spent too much time on the floor of the Moselle, covered with barnacles
Heart 1 Comment 0
That's what happens if you don't take care of your bicycle.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Retrieved from the depths of the Moselle
Heart 1 Comment 0
The path is paved, flat and pleasant. It would certainly be most interesting early spring when there is no foliage to block the views to the network of waterways we are riding through.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Scott AndersonNice to see a clean bike with no barnacles again.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Getting close to town now
Heart 3 Comment 0
A last view of the Moselle
Heart 2 Comment 0

When we rolled in, Janos was downstairs in front of the hotel waiting for us. Easy to time since he could follow me using the live tracking feature on Komoot. 

The Cycleblazer Moselle Quartett - thumbs up and more smiles for our successful adventure!
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today Kathleen was staying at a hotel near the train station to facilitate an easier get-away, Susan, Janos and I are at the hotel where we stayed at the beginning of our tour. We all retired to our respective rooms for rest and clean up before we met for our last meal together, today at a good Italian restaurant about halfway between Kathleen's and our hotel. Too bad I didn't get any pictures of the memorable occasion. After dinner we took a little walk through town and then it was time to say farewell. That wasn't easy, we had been such a good team and we knew we were going to miss each other. But who knows when and where we will meet again. Big thanks to Kathleen and Susan for their wonderful companionship, and of course to Janos for his tremendous contributions to our trip.

This isn't quite the end. I still have the ride home to report on so stay tuned.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 km (22 miles)
Total: 147 km (91 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0