Hattonchâtel - Pont-à-Mousson - A Cycleblazer Moselle Quartett - CycleBlaze

May 30, 2024

Hattonchâtel - Pont-à-Mousson

Today's ride takes us back to the Moselle, and then after another day we will be in Metz, back to where we started. Since we have the car, Janos will be driving to Pont-à-Masson, our destination, and will also carry some bags - it's always nice to ride with a lighter load - while Susan, Kathleen and I cycle with just a light pannier. 

On the way down the hill - not a lavoir, but I'm not sure what the purpose of the pond and little building was. *** Now thanks to helpful comments from Keith Klein I know that it is a lavoir. Wiki told me it was built in 1840.
Heart 7 Comment 1
Keith KleinOn second glance, this looks like it may have had a roof structure at some point, though if that structure was wooden, then it would be long gone.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

annier each for the day's needs. It will be a quick trip in the car so once he gets to Pont-à-Masson, Janos will have time to cycle our route in reverse and meet us.

We all met downstairs at 10:30, sorted out the bags to take and the bags to go in the car, synched our routes and set off. The weather report for brief appearences of sun, lots of clouds, quite cool at the start and some wind turned out to be pretty accurate. I had all my layers on and wasn't too warm. And it didn't rain until the evening! We waved bye-bye to Janos and got on our bikes for the steep downhill from the chateau. First stop on the agenda was the bakery for some treats for later on in the day. 

Ready to roll
Heart 5 Comment 0

After about six kilometers Susan called out to stop. She had left her pannier in the barn where we had parked our bikes for the night! Oh no, that hill again but she had no choice but to go back, an additional 12 km for her day. Kathleen and I decided to just poke along, take a detour to Lake Madine and let Susan catch up somewhere along the way.  

Where's your pannier, Susan?
Heart 4 Comment 0
Lake Madine wasn't too exciting on this grey morning.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Saw some wildlife.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Scott AndersonAnd such cool wildlife at that. Egyptian geese!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Life guard station
Heart 1 Comment 0

We cycled on and in Pannes we could turn off onto a delightful small country road, and although the road until then never felt too busy it didn't have the charm that the road from Pannes to Euvezin had.

Fields of grain and roadside cross
Heart 2 Comment 0
The small town of Pannes
Heart 5 Comment 0
This pool (no water but I think it must have been a pool) resembles the one I saw on the way down the hill a while earlier, but it is indoors.*** Yes, it is a lavoir. Thanks, Keith klein, for the information.
Heart 4 Comment 0
This is the building housing the "pool". Was it a bath house? *** Corrrection: It is a lavoir. Thanks, Keith, for the info. There is a link in the last comment telling the history of this lavoir in Pannes.
Heart 5 Comment 7
Keith KleinHi,
It is/was a lavoir, or village wash house for laundry. The sloping stones around the periphery of the pond are a give-away. They are where the women of the village would scrub their laundry. The previous pond also has these stones, and is also a lavoir. They were all constructed during the second empire when the government was putting in water systems in rural France, and the basins could be built from standardized parts with each village embellishing their lavoir or not according to local tastes and budgets. People still use them, but not very often. I’ve seen women (always women. Make the appropriate social observation /comment here) cleaning large items like rugs and horse blankets in them. There’s a myth about the origin of the law supporting their construction that posits that Napoleon 3 rd overheard Queen Victoria exclaiming about how the French smelled bad, and he was determined to do something about it. Not true, but it makes a good story.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Keith KleinThanks for the information, Keith! Very interesting. So it's a lavoir after all. I had only seen them with raised basins I think. So here it seems the washing people (women) were kneeling at the edge of the basin? Hard work and hard on the knees.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Keith KleinAre those benches along the sides? And in the first picture what was the little building for?
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Keith KleinHi,
I believe those are indeed benches, although perhaps not the original ones. The only photo I could find of a lavoir in use shows baskets of laundry lined up on benches near the pool. As for the little house, without seeing inside it’s difficult to tell what it was used for, but I’m guessing it had something to do with sheltering the washer women during « averses » or rain showers, or at least offering shade.
Most of the lavoirs around here do have raised basins or at least raised rims, but we are in a wine region, and have always enjoyed a bit of prosperity not found everywhere. The old lavoir here in Gevrey was rather grand, being fully enclosed and was later converted first to a public bath house and now to a community meeting room. But in Nuits St. Georges, the lavoirs were along the banks of the Meuzin, and open to the elements, one with a raised basin, one with simple scrubbing stones lining the river’s edge. Different communes, different budgets.
Cheers
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Keith KleinOn the inside of the second one, I see water pipes, electricity and a hose. I guess these lavoirs might have undergone some changes over the years. So interesting.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Keith KleinNo guessing necessary
https://www.estrepublicain.fr/culture-loisirs/2020/07/26/trois-constructions-pour-le-lavoir-de-pannes
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Janos KerteszTo Keith KleinDanke für die ausführliche interessante Erklärung!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Lots of succulent grass for the cows
Heart 4 Comment 0
Verdant countryside
Heart 7 Comment 0
Every journal needs a poppy picture.
Heart 7 Comment 0

We dawdled, we stopped to eat our sandwiches, we checked our devices for messages from Susan. Why isn't she here yet, is she taking pictures of cows? Then I heard something, was it a dog barking in the distance? I sped up a bit to catch up with Kathleen, because as the German saying goes, the dog bites the last one. Well, it wasn't a dog, it was Susan trying to yell loud enough to tell us she could see us. At first a speck in the distance and then there she was. Then in the other direction I saw a pinpoint of light, it could only be a bicycle. Yes, it was Janos. By chance we had all converged at the midpoint of our ride.

A speck in the distance
Heart 8 Comment 0
It's Janos!
Heart 7 Comment 0
Reunited
Heart 8 Comment 0

The rest of the ride went more quickly as we headed for the Moselle bike path and our lodgings in Pont-à-Masson. We hadn't been able to book at the same hotel so Janos and I headed across the river to our hotel and Kathleen and Susan checked in at their place directly on the river front.

Fields in alternating colors
Heart 8 Comment 0
Great views, even without sun
Heart 2 Comment 0
A wooden bell tower in front of a carpenter's and lumber yard
Heart 4 Comment 0
We reach the Moselle.
Heart 3 Comment 0
and have the path to ourselves.
Heart 3 Comment 0
L'Abbaye des Prémontrés across the river where we will spend the night.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Kathleen and Susan are directly across the river from us.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Tomorrow more pictures from the Abbey hotel, an amazing place.

We had a fine dinner at a restaurant recommended by Kathleen and Susan's host. Those French desserts are wicked. The end of another great day.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 112 km (70 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 0