Hattonchâtel: A chateau in the rain - A Cycleblazer Moselle Quartett - CycleBlaze

May 29, 2024

Hattonchâtel: A chateau in the rain

The weather has been playing a major role in our planning. As you may recall, we gave up our original plans to cycle the Moselle and Saar rivers due to flooding. With an eye to the weather report, we enthusiasticaly took up Susan's suggestion to cycle to a hotel in a chateau, a 50 km hilly ride from Metz, and stay for two nights. Janos and I decided to take the day off our bikes and drove there in the car while Kathleen and Susan tackled the headwinds and hills.

We drove through beautiful countryside and were looking forward to a day ride in the surroundings the next day. That was yesterday. Today it looks like rain more or less all day on and off, but when on and when off? We made some tentative plans to take a ride around one when the rain was least probable. In the meantime, that left a lot of time for doing nothing. I didn't even have pictures to edit or journal entries to catch up on!

As I mentioned, we are staying at a chateau, Hattonchâtel. 

Hattonchâtel is located on a rocky promontory and was fortified in the ninth century by Hatton, Bishop of Verdun, who gave the village its name. 

The castle was destroyed during World War I in 1918. The site was entirely reconstructed between 1923 and 1928 by Henri Jacquelin, a Norman architect originally from Evreux, in the Neo-Renaissance style. He produced the ultimate 'troubadour' château of Lorraine, a pastiche which used some remains from the 11th century building. The work was financed by the American benefactor Belle Skinner.

The Château de Hattonchâtel has been listed as a monument historique by the French Ministry of Culture since 1986 and is privately owned. The château is run as a hotel, wedding and conference centre.

Trapped by rain in our lovely room, I took some pictures without going out.

Just a detail from our room
Heart 6 Comment 0
Let's take a look out the window.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Castle tower reflected in the window
Heart 7 Comment 0
When it stops raining I might get more pictures of the castle.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Karen PoretWHEN is the imperative word…
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Nymph taking a shower or a bath?
Heart 5 Comment 0
Yes, it's still raining.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Balustrade outside our window
Heart 6 Comment 0
A shady place for a sunny day
Heart 5 Comment 0
And now for a look at our bathroom with its big bathtub, which I didn't use. I prefer a shower.
Heart 7 Comment 1
Elaborate fixtures
Heart 4 Comment 1
Karen PoretThe whole shebang!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Vintage style
Heart 2 Comment 0

It did indeed clear up around one, but we were busy working out a route for tomorrow, finding accommodations and searching for a place to eat that would be open tonight. Around two we got on our bikes. Susan and I rode together, Janos went on his own tour and Kathleen, perhaps wisely considering the chances of rain, chose to take a walk in the village. 

It was dry but windy and chilly when we set out, about half way it began to mist and drizzle. Forunately we had the wind at our backs for the ride home, altogether not ideal weather for a ride but somehow Susan and I were enjoying the challenge that the weather presented, and also the countryside and views. As always, we took our time stopping frequently for pictures or a closer look at something that caught our eye. Finally I was too wet for another stop and sped on ahead home while Susan dallied a bit more before returning.

Setting out, not raining yet.
Heart 6 Comment 0
After we passed through a very green forest, the view opened to a vista of gentle hills and fields of grains.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Small towns along the way, each with its own church and momuments to the victims of WWI.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Town hall of Dompierre-aux-Bois
Heart 6 Comment 1
Jane RipkenSoooo French! Love it!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
We stop for cows.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another village but not big enough to have a cafe where we could get a warm drink
Heart 5 Comment 0
Nothing like small country roads in France, almost no cars
Heart 9 Comment 0
My castle is my home, and I'm glad to be back.
Heart 8 Comment 0
I think our room is in the tower to the right. Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your long hair. But since I wasn't a captive it didn't matter that I don't have long hair.
Heart 9 Comment 0

There was no place close enough that we could walk to or ride to for dinner, so we were happy to have the car. We piled in and drove to St. Mihiel, about 25 km distant, for a warming and well deserved meal.

Still in good sprits, the rain didn't get us down.
Heart 7 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonHow great that you could drive to a restaurant!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Rachael AndersonVery good!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 34 km (21 miles)
Total: 70 km (43 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rachael AndersonI hope the weather improves for you!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago