Grazalema - Springtime Spin in Southern Spain - CycleBlaze

May 14, 2024

Grazalema

It’s a Popup World

The plans for this cycle tour took shape over a period of several months, starting last November. All the while, it sat as a vision in my mind and a line on a map. Fast forward to today, it’s like opening one of those pop-up cards to see all the land features and craggy mountains, hear the cacophony of birds flitting in the trees, watch unknown four-legged critters scurry across the road and birds of prey soar overhead, feel the warmth of the sun and simultaneously the cool of the shade and delight in the pops of colourful flowers along the roadside. It makes every minute spent planning priceless. 

Today’s ride has been on my mind for many weeks. It was motivation to get the last 80k training ride in and fit in some challenging hilly rides in the lead-up to the tour because it’s a doozy at 1272m of climbing.  We’re headed through the Sierra de Grazalema to the town of Grazalema, which is draped on the east side of the craggy Coros mountain in the shadow of El Torreon. 

But, first we had to find some food for breakfast. I was almost ready for breakfast when I woke up at the crack of dawn to the sound of a drum and a pennywhistle, becoming louder and louder, then fading away. Peering out between the shutters, I saw a lone gentleman striding down the street without a care in the world, waking everyone up as he marched on. Hmmm, is this an Arcos tradition or someone with a mission? We will never know.

We had a delicious coffee con leche in our room, but finding breakfast was a challenge which ended poorly, me with a chocolate filled chocolate doughnut and David with a custard pastry. We thought we might find a bakery or store where we could buy food for the road, but it never materialized, hence the donut. Ugh.

The next order of business was finding our way out of town.  All we had to do was drop off the knife edge of the hill. The challenge was keeping the locals satisfied that we were obeying the one way signs. Oh, alright... if we must!

We cruised downhill into the sun and within short order pulled up for a photo as the town started to reveal itself. Simultaneously, a vehicle stopped beside us. Uh-oh, we thought, what did we do now? But no, the driver motioned that we should continue further downhill and we would get a much better shot. How kind of him and how Canadian of us. Here is that shot.

Arcos sits high on a hill.
Heart 9 Comment 0

The first 30k were along a highway that took us to El Bosque. Traffic was light and courteous, and the shoulder was generous. El Bosque sit on the west slope of the Sierra and from there we’d be climbing seriously. 

A classic Andalucian landscape scene.
Heart 5 Comment 0
A good portion of the morning ride looked like this.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We saw millions of sunflower plants today. Most were green, but these ones were blooming.
Heart 9 Comment 0
We’re heading into the mountains now.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Benemahoma.
Heart 3 Comment 0

One of the reasons I love to cycle mountains is to slow down and take in the moments along the way. That might be to check out a beautiful flower, take a closer look at the animals in a mountain meadow, try to identify a raptor soaring above me or look back and notice how far we have climbed.

Looking back on the hills already conquered.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

The grades in this climb were quite severe for long stretches. Our bikes have lo-o-w gearing that lets us tackle them and keep moving. When necessary, I plodded along at 6 kmh and intermittently stopped to rest. Thankfully the road surface was excellent and it didn’t suck away any of our precious momentum. 

The view improves by the minute.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We’re gettin’ higher.
Heart 2 Comment 0

I was delighted to find a ‘col’ sign at the top of the hill. These signs are a cyclist’s rite of passage, an exclamation that ‘I came and I conquered’.

Summit victory photo.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Our ride today was through the Sierra de Grazalema.
Heart 2 Comment 0
View from the mirador above Grazalema. It is a rock climber’s paradise here.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Once over the top, the road snaked down to the beautiful town of Grazalema. This one was small enough that it was easy to navigate directly to our hotel.

We dropped in on Grazalema.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Grazalema roof tops.
Heart 6 Comment 0

We strolled the town after dropping the bikes at the hotel and stopped in at one of the many small bars for a couple of cervesas. Grazalema has a surprising number of restaurants so we picked one and made a reservation for 7:30.

Main square in Grazalema.
Heart 6 Comment 0
White washed walls with iron grates… so simple and elegant.
Heart 4 Comment 0

The beauty of white walls is they make a perfect backdrop for punches of colour in the form of roses and geraniums and other foliage. 

Scented geraniums cascade down into the hotel courtyard.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Looking west of Grazalema from the Mirador.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Potable water in the main square.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Dinner was just what we needed, an appy of local cheese, a green salad and a main which was pan-fried trout for me and pork for David. It was as delicious as it looks. 

Pork and potatoes really hit the spot.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Trout for dinner.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our waiter brought us a bottle of liqueur along with the with the bill. I usually find these after-dinner drinks too sweet, but this one was not like that. And, it had an anise undertone to the light cherry taste, flavours I love. All I could find out from the waiter is that it was ‘cherry juice’.  I hope I find out what it is in the next little while. Anybody our there know who knows this one, please let me know.

Complementary post dessert drink.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Anne AnastasiouGlad you made it to Grazalema and had a good dinner. The ride in sounded intense, the hiking around there wasn't a picnic either! Hope you continue to find more dinners like that and hopefully some better breakfasts. Happy cycling!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 107 km (66 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Patty BarronAnd so, much to your liking, the climbing challenges begin! Andale!
The whitewashed village houses are so delightful! David’s shots do them justice.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Anne MathersTo Patty BarronThe first big climb is always a nail-biter, no matter how much training we've done. This one did not disappoint. We had big grins in our faces.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Rachael AndersonGreat job! Bike Fridays are great for climbing but sometimes I still find my self wishing for even lower gears especially when the bike is loaded.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Janice BranhamWe got to Grazalema the other way from Ronda. It's fun to see your path, and just as spectacular.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Anne MathersTo Janice BranhamHi Janice — nice to hear from you! I just loved that ride from Grazalema through the cork oak forest. What gorgeous countryside and views.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago