Garrucha - Springtime Spin in Southern Spain - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2024

Garrucha

Tabernas is a sleepy place at first glance and that’s pretty much how we saw it during our stopover. But, aside from its throwback attractions and its film location history, Tabernas has become a test site for adapting in a warming world. In particular, water use and desertification is being studied.

The world demand for olive oil has driven an expansion of the olive groves in the Tabernas Valley, but the difference is that these new groves have drip irrigation and guess where the water comes from?  From the aquifer, which has been severely depleted in the past few years as the olive trees are intensively grown. It’s not sustainable so time will tell how it works out. 

On the way out of Tabernas, we spotted this mysterious solar apparatus. 

Not sure what this solar apparatus does.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Scott AndersonGiant tanning bed, I’d say.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

Other studies are being done on how to create energy-wise buildings and much more. These sorts of efforts are not visible to tourists like us, of course, be we do see things like the cultivated olive orchards and solar and wind farms. 

We passed this massive solar farm along the way.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A recent massive planting of olve trees with drip irrigation.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had coffee con leche’s at our hostal after packing up this morning, along with yogurt, fruit and pastries we’d picked up yesterday, then it was time to push on. We had a good view of the Tabernas castle from the top of the main drag.

The castle overlooking Tabernas is from the 11th century.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We rode along a highway with a good shoulder for today’s ride. Once again, the drivers were very respectful but I can’t say the same for the other cyclists on the road today. Several large peletons of riders passed us, two or three deep across the road. We also saw individual riders sailing along to the left of the white line when there was a perfectly good 3 foot shoulder to the right of the line. We don’t and will never understand cyclists who exhibit a need for extra real estate, driving the cars and trucks to veer around them. It didn’t cause any apparent issues, but just seemed unnecessary. 

View north and east of Tabernas
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our plan today was to ride to Sorbas and look for a place to have lunch or at least a coffee. But, about 10k out of Tabernas, we stumbled across the racing curuit of Almeria. We heard their engines before we knew what we had come across and, as a fan of motor racing, David had to get a closer look. I may not be a super fan, but anything on this scale is a must-see for me as well.  

The Circuit de Almeria
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today was a ‘track day’ for local enthusiasts and from the looks of their costumes, they were going to have a lot of fun at the track.. These guys had their bridal outfits on while others were dressed up as nuns.

Heart 2 Comment 0
It was the Nuns vs. the Brides today.
Heart 2 Comment 0

This circuit has two huge tracks. One was being used by regular super charged cars while the other track was being used by motorcyclists. The sound alone was enough to see the excitement and feel the fun they were all having. Seeing the motorcyclists bank to go around a tight turn at full speed was honestly a thrill. David was a motocross specialist in his youth and, despite it being a thrill to watch, I am glad he didn’t get into this sport. 

One track was being used by souped up cars.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Part of the motorcycle circuit.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We carried on through the desert after our visit to the track. 

More irrigated olive groves.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Olives and a gravel operation.
Heart 3 Comment 0

At Sorbas, we veered off the highway for a break. Sorbas is a cliff top town, famous for its pottery and is surrounded by gullies. We enjoyed a Nestea in the square along with a snack of toast with cheese and tomato. 

Terrain at Sorbas.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Sorbas and its hilltop dwellings.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The central square or plaza is where you’ll find people, if there are any to be found.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The guardian of the square.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Kathleen ClassenAwwwwwwww. Almost as cute as Tashy.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Peneque is a children's puppet, well-known and loved by children across Spain.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking back at Sorbas.
Heart 1 Comment 0

As we neared the coast, we noticed lemon groves and some green vegetable crops being grown. It was a sign of more moisture. 

The trees were dripping with lemons and the ground was covered with lemons.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lemon groves.
Heart 2 Comment 0
More lemons that you could shake a stick at.
Heart 2 Comment 0
River beds are dry as a bone, but ready for a flash flood when it comes.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We made our way to Turre and at that point decided we would take a miss on trying to visit Mojecar, a hilltop town that I once thought we might stay at. We had a look at Mojecar from the valley floor and hung a left for our coastal destination, Garrucha.

Mojecar. Look closely and you can see the roadway that leads to the town.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Patty BarronThinking that I can see the road, I really understand why one would take a pass, especially when that means getting back to the Coast so much quicker.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Scott AndersonIt’s a beautiful spot up there, but a brutal climb getting into the center.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0

Here is today's video of the ride. 

We were all smiles to ride down to the beach at Garrucha and to see the gorgeous azure blue water. We located our third-floor suite fairly easily and took a good rest when we got there. Then it was time to find a restaurant for an 8 pm sitting. We chose the lively Bocaire restaurant, where a large group of families were having a grand time before they sat for dinner.  

We chose a salad and paella for dinner, followed by a well-deserved cheesecake for dessert, to share. 

Delicious salad with burrata.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Paella.
Heart 4 Comment 0
First, the dividing line. Ready, set, go!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0


Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 650 km (404 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Anne AnastasiouAnother great day to follow and great video and song. Thanks for sharing.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Rachael AndersonWhat an appropriate and great song for the video!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago