Arcos de la Frontera - Springtime Spin in Southern Spain - CycleBlaze

May 13, 2024

Arcos de la Frontera

Here We Go!

Today’s ride, the first official day of the tour, will take us east to Arcos de la Frontera. The day started out with thick fog which we assume is something to do with the proximity to the Mediterrane Sea. It wasn't damp enough to make us wet but it was cool so we both layered up before leaving the room. First order of business was breakfast at a spot we had eyed yesterday for its luscious looking treats, both savory and sweet. We ordered orange juice (freshly squeezed, of course), coffee and a croissant. For a picnic lunch down the road, we picked up a sandwich, as well.

Heart 4 Comment 0

The ride was uneventful for all the right reasons. It was not ‘too’ anything, It was a nice paved surface, almost devoid of cars and we had a gentle crosswind that eventually matched our direction of travel. The temperature never went any higher than 22 degrees. And, it appeared to be a favorite route for the local roadies, which is always a good sign. 

The landscape was pleasing too. It started out fairly flat then transitioned to rolling hills planted with wheat or sunflowers, and some olive trees. Roadside flowers were a riot of purples, pinks and yellows. 

Heart 4 Comment 0

One of the highlights was the Jerez moto GP/Formula One track, named after Angel Nieto. He was the third winning-est motorcycle racer in the world, originally from Madrid. We knew we were nearing the track when we noticed acres of gravel parking lots, all devoid of anything.  We learned that the last race here was in the final week of April. Hmm, we missed that one too! David is a big fan of moto GP and Formula One, and what a thrill it would have been to see a an event here. Today, the track was quiet. 

Heart 4 Comment 1
Rich FrasierI don’t know about that track, but the Barcelona circuit they use for F1 has bike days! Something to try on a future trip?
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
The view of Arcos from our room.
Heart 4 Comment 0
This made me smile. Appropriate for a couple of cycle tourists, don’t you think?
Heart 6 Comment 0
Central courtyard at our B&B. Above is a rooftop terrace.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We were able to access the B&B by 1pm, so we lounged for a while as we enjoyed the free drinks and fruit provided here. I headed for the rooftop lounge. How nice is that?! Then it was time to explore in foot. 

Arcos surprised me. I chose it for the distance from Jerez and not much more. But it is fascinating. It is onee of the frontier towns in this region where the Moors were being pushed south after occupying the peninsula for about 700 years. The town is located on top of a rocky outcrop, and it served the purpose well. No sneaking up on the castle without deadly consequences! Here are a few photos from our walk.

Narrow alleyways in Arcos.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Peek-a-boo views from the side streets.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Buttresses cross the street to the adjacent building
Heart 7 Comment 0
View from one of several miradors in Arcos. We couldn’t get closer for a good photo due to construction in the square.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Arcos is a white village.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Barbara HarrisonWe have fond memories of Arcos. In 2006, on the first retirement tour, we stayed at the Parador. It was wonderful. But we had a really difficult time finding our way through the maze of tiny streets to get out of town! We quickly realized why all the cars looked so scraped and scratched. Finally we followed an ambulance out, figuring they were headed out of town.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Fossils in the stone archway.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltSectioned snail shaped one is an ammonite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonoidea

Small round one could be a crinoid stem section.

https://geokansas.ku.edu/crinoids
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Anne MathersTo Bill ShaneyfeltThank you! I do recall studying these in Biology many moons ago.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Meow!
Heart 5 Comment 0
Sunset was a beauty.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Anne AnastasiouSounds like a great first day. We too enjoyed Acros de la Frontera although we didn't stay overnight. A great taste of what's to come!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

Today's ride: 34 km (21 miles)
Total: 59 km (37 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Joy DavisHi from Granada. I’ve thought of you often during our ride from Ronda to Los Barrios mostly in the national parks with stops in ‘de La Frontera’ white towns. A slower trip than yours, given we’re on horseback - but isn’t the countryside beautiful - and aren’t the flowers wonderful? And every time I saw cyclists I hoped we’d encounter you and Dave. But we’re done — I’ll tell you about pitching into a river because my horse slipped and fell, when we’re both back home. If you’re heading south, stay at Castillo de Castellar de La Frontera and ask for Room 101 - it has ten windows overlooking Gibraltar and the whole landscape of southern Spain!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Anne MathersTo Joy DavisHi Joy, we will compare notes when we are back home. Pitched into the river from horse? Oh no! I hope you weren't too badly injured. Andalusia is far exceeding our expectations. We are in the cycle touring groove now and loving every minute of it.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Janice BranhamI love all the narrow passageways. Enjoying the start of your ride.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago