Alicante - Springtime Spin in Southern Spain - CycleBlaze

May 30, 2024

Alicante

Travel nowadays relies on the internet, it’s just the way it is. For the last 24hrs, I have been without access so this will have to be a quick post so I can fit two days in. 

Our stay in Elche lacked any panache as we were staying in a rather lifeless brand name hotel on the outskirts of the city. It was clean, modern, air conditioned, and offered a great breakfast buffet. But, it was so automated that it felt lifeless.  The best we could do is have some fun banter with Karlos, the receptionist. We had him smiling and laughing which made us all happy to have met. As we were signing in, he let slip that he would be here in the morning serving breakfast and that if we ordered a sandwich today, he would be making it for us, too. We marvelled at his talent, and it all started from there. Simple pleasures please simple people like us and apparently, others too. Thanks, Karlos.

We always appreciate a buffet breakfast.
Heart 1 Comment 0
These orange juicing machines are the cat’s pajamas!
Heart 3 Comment 0

The ride to the coast was a straight line once we navigated ourselves out of Elche along the bike lanes next to the ring road. Those bike lanes continued all the way along the highway to Santa Pola. Which is to say, they were continuous, un-interrupted lanes in excellent condition. To sweeten the deal it was slightly downhill all the way, and we had that lovely breeze from the east to keep the temperatures right in our comfort zone. 

Santa Pola is a small seaside town with low buildings, a beautiful marble promenade lined with palm trees and a gorgeous beach. We rode the promenade, stopping occasionally to take in the beautiful azure blue of the Mediterranean. 

Palm trees always make it feel tropical.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Santa Pola beach.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Leave your dog at home.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Jacquie GaudetInteresting that the sign is in English with no Spanish.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Rich FrasierTo Jacquie GaudetI bet there’s a good reason. :)
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Lantana of all colours grows willy-nilly here in Spain. It does not like the cool temps in Victoria, as I can attest to.
Heart 2 Comment 0

After awhile, the promenade ended and we found an equally nice small road to ride on. The coast here was more rocky and was popular for snorkelling. 

The snorkelling section near Santa Pola.
Heart 1 Comment 0

In behind our coastal road was a small mountain (maybe 200m high) and peeking off the top of the cliff were the signature multi-story buildings of this region. They have un-abashedly developed just about every square inch of land, it seems. Small towns like Santa Pola still to retain the small town feel, thankfully.

Developments peeked over the edge of the cliff.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Alicante in the distance.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Getting bigger, as we neared Alicante.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The bike path picked up again as we neared the next seaside development, Los Arenales del Sol. Again, it was marble. Actually, I’m not sure we were supposed to ride on the patterned marble but we couldn’t resist. 

Lovely marble promenade... oh, you shouldn’t have!
Heart 4 Comment 0

Carrying on along the coast we started noticing the planes taking off from the Alicante airport. They were flying directly at us, so we just had to stop and watch them take off after unloading another plane load of sun seekers.

Ryanair.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We have noticed that the bike lanes here get well-used and drivers and pedestrians are accustomed to them. Drivers stop for us every single time we approach an un-regulated crossing, as they have throughout Spain. It’s no big deal, they just seem to respect all modes of transport. Heck, we have even seen people on horseback clip-clopping along with their off leash dog following them. No big deal. Pedestrians usually stop too, before crossing bike lanes.  

Actually, I think enforced laws have something to do with it. I can’t tell you how many times cars hold up behind us, seemingly forever, until they can find a place to pull fully into the oncoming lane to pass. I’m talking about any size of road up to and including highways here. It has to be habits based on consequences because there is so much space for them to pass. Either that or they find us fascinating! 😆 

We arrived in Alicante in good time so we stopped for a coffee before heading over to our B&B near the town’s historic Market. Palm trees offer shade throughout the city. This racing sail boat advertises that the Great Ocean Race begins in Alicante and there’s even a museum devoted to it. 

Heart 2 Comment 1
Patty BarronAn unusual feature for sure. At first glance, it seems to be a big awning, then you start to see the parts of the race boat, without its sails to identify it.
Interesting!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Alicante Market.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Here is the video showing how the riding went today. 

Our B&B was a lovely corner suite on the first floor of this building. 

Bikes are tucked discretely on the balcony of our corner suite.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Parking on the street here is coveted real estate. This small street outside our B&B was particularly covered. David watched one driver inch out of a tight squeeze like the one below, and applauded him in making it out a few bumper kisses later.

Now, that’s cutting it close. I wonder how the driver reacted when they saw how wedged in they were?
Heart 2 Comment 0

We met our host at 2 pm and then hung out for our usual post-ride rest and cool down.  We had time to do some touristy things so we headed for the beachside elevator to the castle. Seniors ride for free! To build this elevator, they tunnelled 200m into the mountain, then anther 147m to the top of the mountain. The views from the top were breathtaking. We were up with the seagulls!

Beaches were popular in Alicante.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Views west from the castle.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Harbour view from the castle.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Defensive wall with a view of the bullring.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Are you sure you want to breach that wall?
Heart 3 Comment 0
Archway view looking east.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Castle views.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We strolled back to the Market area and soon after, headed for a nearby Italian restaurant for dinner. The Italian owner greeted us and introduced us to her young Sardinian, female chef. We chatted about our experiences in Italy and about Italian food before ordering a caprese salad, a spaghetti ala Norma and a spaghetti Vongole. We more than were happy to be supporting a small business like this and the food was delicious. 

Heart 2 Comment 1
Anne AnastasiouSounded like a lovely day. The bike paths sounded and looked great.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago


Today's ride: 46 km (29 miles)
Total: 847 km (526 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Jacquie GaudetSpain is exceptional in driver courtesy. France isn’t bad, but Spain is better.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Patty BarronThe roads & especially the bike lanes look fabulous to ride, & how encouraging that bikes are respected by other drivers! 🙌 👍.

“Elche to Alicante” had some vivid memories for Terry, from when he was travelling there with some buddies, back in the day.
He will tell you all about that particular adventure , over coffee when you get back.
Andale!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago