To Paraphrase The Dead ...: What a Short, Strange Trip It's Been - Moab Skinny Tire Festival, 2020 - CycleBlaze

March 19, 2020

To Paraphrase The Dead ...: What a Short, Strange Trip It's Been

We arrived home Thursday night after our two day sprint from Utah back to Wisconsin. This trip deserves some sort of wrap-up because its been historic. Not in any kind of notable way concerning biking, but more about humanity.

First, on Friday morning the dogs were bonkers to see us when we picked them up from the kennel. The owner of the business said she had received 150 cancellations in the last few days because of virus related fallout. Businesses all up and down the economy are going to suffer greatly from what is going on out in the world. Some are obvious, but others, like a dog kennel business, weren't on our radar. We told her we hoped she would be OK both business-wise and personally. We continued to the dog park, and that was a relief. Things were normal out there because dogs must be walked, and it's an easy place to maintain your social distancing but also get a small dose of humanity. The dogs have no idea what's going on in the world. They just wanted their walk, and proceeded to tear-ass all over the place because they've been kenneled for 10 days.

Dexter and Phoebe, About to Hit the Dog Park
Heart 1 Comment 0

This trip barely feels like it had anything to do with biking. We certainly rode our bikes, but it was more a study of humanity, and the very odd feeling of watching a sea change slowly creep across the country. We were in our little bubble for so much of it, removed from any actually effects to us and barely having any contact with other people until we arrived in Moab. I hope this journal didn't feel too flippant about what is befalling so many people. I do think humor is the best way to handle trouble and stress, but I also know that many people are being affected in ways that are scary and central to their lives and their livelihood.

Much of what we experienced on this trip reinforced to us that people are essentially good folk. Everyone we met and talked to were kind and caring, and concerned about others. The motel management, the organizers of the bike tour .... they are suffering real financial hardships because of the virus, but their level of concern for their customers was the only thing we ever detected from them. It was impressive and made me feel emotional to see such goodness in people.

Now that we're home and the party's over, we are hunkering into the same drab reality others have been assimilating for the last couple weeks. What does one do, when there is nothing to do? Even though social media and the pace of the world has pushed people to interact online, in texts, or emails, I think everyone is starting to crave face-to-face interaction with others. School's closed, work's closed, public spaces are closed .... there is no place to even accidentally hang around other human beings. In a way, to see people craving the presence of other people is a relief to me. Maybe that's the silver lining that will come from this virus thing.

Margaret and I are accidentally in an easy spot to weather this. We're both retired, so no worries about working or losing income from being laid off; our kids are adults so not school-aged children to try to home school and/or entertain .... We just have to walk the dogs, pet the cats, and try not to tell each other the same stories over and over. Margaret is feeling the shutdown a bit more than I though. She has a few volunteer gigs and other social group meetings (knitting, murder mystery book club) on her regular calendar that have all been shut down so she is feeling very itchy about having lost all that life structure. For me, this was to be a spring and summer really focused on cycling. I am registered for a number of Gran Fondos, 12 and 24 hour endurance rides, and Marg and I are registered for an ACA tour in the Tetons. A couple have already announced their cancelations and I fear that same fate will befall them all. Compared to how this all is affecting other people me missing out on some citizen bike races is a trifle, but it highlights how people's hobbies and interests are being "erased." Well, we shall survive a lack of knitting guild meetings and bike tours I'm sure.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read about our trip. It was an adventure, but nothing remotely like we expected. Hope you are all well, are not being stretched too badly financially, and are in the company of those who love you.

Thanks for reading!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Scott AndersonWell, you do find all the best spots, don’t you? Arches, Dead Horse Point, Potash Road. You should go back for seconds some winter.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rich FrasierGreat journal. And a great memoir of a strange time in our little lives. I’m glad you wrote it.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Mike JamisonTo Scott Anderson: - ) Beginner's luck for sure! I agree that we need to take another scoop out of Utah. What a fantastic place.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Mike JamisonTo Rich FrasierThank Rich! Re-reading this journal before posting it to Cycleblaze made me realize how naive I was about where Covid was going to take the world. I cringed a bit reading some of my comments ... they came off sounding like "isn't this fun?" somehow. Here we are two year later still waiting for the end of it all. In that vein, next Tuesday I head in to Walgreens to finally get my booster shot!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bob DistelbergTo Mike JamisonMike, thanks for another great, entertaining journal. It was actually really interesting from its perspective of early in the pandemic when the restrictions and changes in our lives were just coming about. And yes, here we are two years later, those changes pretty much ingrained in our lives. Anyway, here’s to a better 2022!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Mike JamisonTo Bob DistelbergAmen to a better 2022 Bob! Anything remotely different would be a welcome change. Thank you so much for giving the journal a read, and for the kind words of praise. As I mentioned to someone else's comments, re-reading this journal after a couple years made me cringe a bit because many times it felt like my outlook was "Isn't this a fun adventure!" when in fact it has turned into an awful, politicized mess. All the best to you!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetI just finished this journal, Mike, and I have to say I really enjoy reading about your and Margaret's adventures.

We too were relatively unaffected--except that I retired at the end of 2018 specifically to be able to do more cycle touring. I wanted to make up for lost time, having been unable to do much while working and raising kids. I got in exactly one trip before Covid shut it all down. I remember March 2020 as the time when we had to make the decision to cancel our much-anticipated tour in Italy. At the time, we all thought the lockdowns would be a few weeks or months.

Our Italy tour has been rebooked for 2022. Fingers crossed!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Mike JamisonTo Jacquie GaudetI Know!!! We had big cycling plans for that whole year which were all rubbed out. I hope your Italy trip happens!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago