Trier to Wintrich - How I Saved My Marriage - CycleBlaze

July 8, 2024

Trier to Wintrich

We rode back past Porta Nigra into the market area in order to stop at Globetrotters, a sporting goods store, looking for some fenders for Heather's bike.

As we were riding, we noticed these on the sidewalk in a few places. I appreciate that the Germans face the horrors of their past instead of denying it.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
This very old BMW was on the way to the sporting goods store.
Heart 4 Comment 0
They didn't have any mud guards, but there' no rain in the forecast so maybe she'll get lucky. Once we were done, RideWithGPS couldn't get us back on the original route, and google maps tried to drag us to the wrong side of the river. Getting back on the route took a lot longer than expected as we pedaled through streets like this one.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Once out of Trier it was all bike path.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
I still have some tar on my tire, but it's a lot better than yesterday.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Wallmauer ("mighty wall") in Pfalzel, erected in 1539, was designed by Albrecht Dürer.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
A river is bound to have some industrial areas, but this is the only one we've seen. It wasn't bad at all pedaling through it.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And it didn't last long.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Lunch in Schweich was pizza funghi (mushroom) and a rosé. Most places close at 2:00; we made it by 1:30.
Heart 5 Comment 0
A bit different from an American napkin.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Note that there's a "Pizza Texas," a "Pizza Hawaii," and a "Pizza California." I've heard of the last two, but not the first. Not surprised it has BBQ sauce, though.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Then back on the trail
Heart 3 Comment 0
I didn't realize that my Garmin paused on its own at lunch and stopped adding mileage. It remained at 13.92 kilometers, but I was having such a good time that I didn't even notice it.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Zellburg, across the river, is one of the many picturesque villages along the way.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This guy was just hanging out on the side of the path. Heather's response was "Terrifying! They're meaner than Canada geese!" I told her not to worry. Clearly, this one has no legs.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Jon AylingHaha, people in the UK are a bit scared of swans (in the same way that Scandinavians are apparently fearful of badgers). The classic story is their necks are "powerful enough to break a man's leg" - I have no idea if this is true, but legless or not I give them a wide berth!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Heather and I regularly remark how pictures don't capture how steep the vineyards are.
Heart 7 Comment 1
George HallSomething that surprised me about the Rhine River valley vineyards was that the rows were planted "vertically" towards the river, like the ones in this photo. They aren't concerned about soil erosion, else the rows would be planted "horizontally" parallel to the river. Apparently the rains are always gentle enough so that one isn't worried about damaging runoff. That seemed to be the case with the rains I experienced in Germany.
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
We stopped in Detzem for a cappuccino (Heather) and ice cream (Mark).
Heart 3 Comment 0
I ordered lemonade and was asked "Do you want lemon lemonade or orange lemonade?" I wasn't sure if that was a standard question everywhere or just here. I got the "orange lemonade."
Heart 3 Comment 2
Suzanne Gibson"Limo" in German can be any carbonated citrus drink and I guess lemonade is usually understood as limo.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Mark BinghamTo Suzanne GibsonThat makes sense.... interesting.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 2
Rich FrasierA great advertisement for bike touring!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Mark BinghamTo Rich FrasierGreat idea! Maybe I'll use it as a Bingham Cycle Tours promo, if the company lasts longer than this week. Probably want to crop it a bit though. Wouldn't want to scare off customers. :-)
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Piesport, across the river
Heart 6 Comment 0
Not sure what this was... an entrance to something, but what?
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonA path following the stations of the cross
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Mark BinghamThanks, Suzanne! I'm learning all kinds of things from you!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Gotta love the goofy helmet, with its Wind Blox that make me look like I have Elvis sideburns, a mirror the size of a trash can lid which is dangerous to anyone within five feet if I abruptly turn my head, and (new this year thanks to Kelly Iniguez) a visor. I love each piece of it, but wish I didn't. :-)
Heart 3 Comment 2
Rich FrasierOnce they invented bike helmets, all the style went out of cycling. Might as well embrace our dorkiness...
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Mark BinghamHonestly, for me, there's no point in trying to hide it. It would be completely futile. Embraced. Just don't stand too close when I turn my head.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Pedaling through Wintrich, our stop for the night. You can see how much traffic there is.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our hotel for the night: Moselhotel Weinhaus Simon
Heart 2 Comment 0
We got to our room and couldn't figure out how to open the blinds. What we thought opened the curtains was actually for the blinds.
Heart 2 Comment 0
view from the room
Heart 3 Comment 0
Dinner was served on the patio. While there, we noticed these platforms and felt compelled to ask one of the waitstaff what they are. Apparently, it's part of the fire escape, but there isn't a rope of anything to drop from. Our room is the one in the bottom right corner.
Heart 2 Comment 0
After dinner we took a walk around town and came across this.
Heart 1 Comment 0
a cigarette vending machine
Heart 1 Comment 1
Kathleen ClassenWe have seen these in farmer’s fields. Honestly, we thought they disappeared with the dark ages.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
We also passed this. No Apple Pay, just the honor system.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 21 miles (34 km)
Total: 83 miles (134 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0