Luxembourg City to Perl - How I Saved My Marriage - CycleBlaze

July 6, 2024

Luxembourg City to Perl

Saturday morning.... finally ready to start riding
Heart 4 Comment 2
Gregory GarceauSo there's that new bike you told me about. NICE!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Mark BinghamTo Gregory GarceauMore about the bike on another tour.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
We rode all the way through Luxembourg City without getting on any busy roads, and, in fact, maybe only a kilometer or two of road total. It was almost all bike path, and all very nice. This is the initial section.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Cat LloydWhat a beautiful beginning. Love all the green!
Reply to this comment
1 day ago
This is at the base of the castle we saw yesterday.
Heart 2 Comment 0
as well as this
Heart 1 Comment 0
Crossing the river Alzette
Heart 3 Comment 0
This is what it looked like almost all of the way through Luxembourg City. We couldn't even hear any cars, much less see them.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The bike path continued well beyond the city limits. We saw very few exits, and didn't leave the path for lunch until Hesperange. When I looked at the map to see where we were, I was surprised to find we were so far away from Luxembourg City.
Heart 2 Comment 0
At the "Cafe Fentenger Stuff" in Hesperange we finally stopped at 2:15 for lunch....
Heart 3 Comment 0
...and an espresso for Heather. There were two gentlemen at the table over Heather's right shoulder who offered the remaining contents of their carafe of wine. We declined, having already had a glass and didn't want to ride too impaired.
Heart 4 Comment 0
After Hesperange, we were on roads with no traffic. The temperature stayed between 65-68F degrees for the whole ride. At one point it started lightly sprinkling for a few minutes so we put on our rain jackets. We could see that it had rained in some places before we got there, but it appeared we had missed most of it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Luxembourg countryside
Heart 4 Comment 0
We had a lot of downhill today, with an accompanying 15-mph side/tailwind.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The large white objects are bales of hay wrapped in plastic.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Luxembourg countryside
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
the vineyards begin
Heart 1 Comment 0
When we got to the Moselle river we turned right instead of left, then pedaled about a kilometer into Apach, France, so we could say we biked through three countries (in one day, no less!). After the picture we turned around and headed back to Germany.
Heart 7 Comment 0
The Shengen agreement was signed on a boat in the middle of the Moselle river near the town of Schengen (Luxembourg) at the exact point where the borders of France, Germany and Luxembourg meet.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heather got a new bike a few months ago and her fenders arrived literally three hours after we had to leave for the airport.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stayed at the Hotel Perler Hof, in Perl (pop. 2129). Getting there required a steep climb at the end of the day, a little over 10%, since it's not on the river. 

The woman at the front desk didn't speak English, and I don't speak German, so I used the Google Translate app....  actually, I tried to use the app. There was minimal cell service, so I needed to log on to the wi-fi. By the time I was able to do that she was pretty unimpressed with what was going on, but remained tolerant and friendly to the slow American, smiling patiently.

Our room in Perl was above the restaurant, which remained quiet all evening.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Unsurprisingly, there weren't many places to eat dinner in this town of 2,100 so we just ate downstairs at the hotel restaurant. We were both happy with our meals. It was a combination of Italian and Indian... not a fusion restaurant which combines the two cuisines, but items from both on the menu, almost like they were just sharing the space. I got Italian, Heather got Indian. Here's a picture of some food.

We went for a walk after dinner. This was taken at 9:06, still half an hour before sunset.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Cat LloydGreg & I really like maps. He was looking for Bitburg, Germany (northwest of Trier) to see if it was near your route. He lived in Bitburg in his preteen years.
Reply to this comment
1 day ago

Today's ride: 28 miles (45 km)
Total: 28 miles (45 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonThe plans for our Moselle tour in late May would have taken us to Schengen with a night in Perl, probably in the same hotel. There wasn't much else in the vicinity. Since floods made us change our itinerary we never got there. I'm glad I finally got to see it through your journal. Thanks!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Jon AylingLove it. I really like Luxembourg, it's an underrated country!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago