Koblenz to Oberwesel - How I Saved My Marriage - CycleBlaze

July 13, 2024

Koblenz to Oberwesel

the hotel breakfast in Koblenz
Heart 2 Comment 0
It was just a few short blocks to get back on the bike path.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Not many people outside for such a beautiful Saturday morning.
Heart 3 Comment 0
There was even less pedestrian/bike traffic after we left town.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another castle!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
For a second, I thought I was back in Iowa!
Heart 6 Comment 4
Gregory GarceauWhatever that contraption is, it sports John Deere green & yellow.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Gregory GarceauGreg, you don't have this contraption, a hay tedder, where you live?
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Gregory GarceauTo Suzanne GibsonHi Suzanne. It's possible hay tedders exist around here, but I don't recall ever seeing one. Then again, I guess I don't pay that much attention to farm machinery.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Joanne RobertsonThe perfect balance of art and function.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Heart 4 Comment 0
We stopped for "lunch" in Boppard.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesLooks just about right!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
goats along the way
Heart 3 Comment 0
taking a nap
Heart 3 Comment 1
Joanne RobertsonLooks like a nursery rhyme
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Up on the mountainside
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another castle!
Heart 5 Comment 2
George HallI recognize that one! From this point on down to Mainz I'm really going to enjoy the trip down memory lane.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Mark BinghamTo George HallIt must've been fantastic to be able to live in that area and get paid for it. This is one of my favorite castles. I like its lines and color.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
And another!
Heart 3 Comment 0
An hour and a half after our first lunch (if you can call ice cream "lunch"), we stopped for our second lunch (if you can call a radler "lunch"). A radler, half pilsner and half lemonade, is perfect for a hot day... or when it's only 70F and you're riding a bike through Germany.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Most English speakers associate this word with a sneeze, and I pictured it as a camp for people with severe allergies.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Uhhhhh....
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wait... What?!? THAT'S our hotel??? Up there??
Heart 2 Comment 0
Just use a telephoto lens so it doesn't look as high. Our room is in the turret, with the pointed roof.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Gregory GarceauI stayed on the 10th floor of a Hampton Inn once. Was it kind of like that?
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Mark BinghamTo Gregory GarceauYeah, pretty much the same. Except maybe for the dour, gloved servant.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
The grade reached 12%, but we made it the whole way. I think that's pretty close to my gradient limit with a loaded bike these days.
Heart 3 Comment 0
There was a rest stop just before the entrance to the castle/hotel.
Heart 3 Comment 0

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
You can skip the next bunch of pictures because they're all of the castle hotel (Burghotel Auf Schönburg). I'm including them because it's the nicest hotel I've ever stayed at in my life, and possibly the nicest one I'll ever stay in. 
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Our room is in the turret
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
If you look at the head of the bed you'll see a cord. Pulling on it summons a dour, gloved servant to turn down the bed and remove the foil from the mint on your pillow. (Not really. It just turns the light on and off) Also, look closely at the item in the back left corner.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Mark BinghamTo Steve Miller/GrampiesYeah, pulling on the cord turns the light on and off.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
a closer look
Heart 2 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesThought you meant the old fashioned telephone.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
and even closer
Heart 4 Comment 1
Suzanne GibsonThat is crazy!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
the key on the adjacent wall
Heart 3 Comment 0
The decanter of sherry, as well as everything in the minibar, are included in the price of the hotel.
Heart 2 Comment 0
the balcony
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Fruit and sherry on the balcony. And also some apples. :-)
Heart 4 Comment 0
looking southwest from our balcony
Heart 6 Comment 0
The phone doesn't appear to work. I tried pushing the numbers and nothing happened. :-)
Heart 4 Comment 3
Steve Miller/GrampiesYou are too young for this kind of phone.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Mark BinghamTo Steve Miller/GrampiesYou're too kind. Completely wrong, but kind. :-)
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
George HallMy adult children would absolutely have no idea how to use this phone!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
There's even running water, unlike many of the places I stay when not with Heather.
Heart 4 Comment 0
looking northwest from our balcony
Heart 6 Comment 0
I was curious about what's behind these doors, but they were locked.
Heart 3 Comment 0
at the front entrance
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
This door is near the ceiling.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The cost of the room comes with a 4-course meal. Our reservations were for 6:30.
Heart 3 Comment 0
the amuse bouche
Heart 1 Comment 0
burrata with yellow gazpacho, passion fruit, and basil
Heart 3 Comment 0
tomato, crème fraiche, croutons, and cress
Heart 3 Comment 0
char with vegetables
Heart 3 Comment 0
Bavarian creme, cherry, cocoa, strawberry gelato, and coffee. Although the courses were fairly small, we were pretty full by the time we finished. It came with a wine pairing, which we shared.
Heart 4 Comment 0
the inside
Heart 3 Comment 0

Heather slipped off to the bathroom after dessert and upon her return she looked around to make sure no one could hear her and whispered excitedly, "You should see the bathroom sink!" So I took a look:

Heart 3 Comment 0

                                       <><><><><><><><><><><><>

This spray bottle was in our bathroom and I just want to show you how truly upper class I am. Upper, upper crust. Royalty, practically.

                                      <><><><><><><><><><><><>

My Garmin does this periodically (second time this trip), and I think I finally figured out how to prevent losing part of the trip. The jury's still out, however.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The accurate one was transferred from Heather's.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 29 miles (47 km)
Total: 201 miles (323 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Gregory GarceauI should have read the rest of your post before posting that ridiculous comment earlier. I bet it took wild horses to drag you away from that hotel the next day. Or else, maybe we'll learn in the next few pages that you're still there.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Bill ShaneyfeltBy the looks of this stuff, you could finance a whole tour for the cost of one night in that hotel!

I'd be afraid to touch anything! So fancy!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Rich FrasierNice job on the accommodations, Mark! Robin approves.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Jon AylingEpic hotel - what a balcony! If you plan on going to Spain at some point, I'd highly recommend the Paradores. Anything would struggle to compete with your room there - but those are castles, manor houses and other historic buildings that have been turned into (sometimes surprisingly affordable) hotels - and they have a similar sort of vibe.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Mark BinghamTo Jon AylingI've wanted to stay in one of the Paradores since I read an article about them in the New York Times way back in, like, 2007 or so. I'll get there someday.... (heavy sigh).
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago