Frankfurt - How I Saved My Marriage - CycleBlaze

July 17, 2024 to July 19, 2024

Frankfurt

<><><><><>
17 July 2024
<><><><><>

We spent most of our first full day in Frankfurt trying to get the bikes boxed up. Klaus procured two, and got them to the hotel for us a few days prior to our arrival. We would have preferred paying a bike shop to do it for us while we did some sightseeing but none were available for about a month (we checked almost a month ago).
Heart 1 Comment 0

Regarding bikes, we saw a lot of cyclists. Most of them were commuters, shoppers, and students, but occasionally we'd see someone with panniers. As beautiful as the region is, there were fewer than I anticipated. What I really didn't expect was the percentage of e-bikes. I'd estimate that for every non e-bike there were 200 e-bikes. 

We found a place to eat at the mall across the street, and AHA!... so THAT'S why so many people have Camp David shirts. It's a brand name... duh.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The evening before Klaus left we went out to a really nice restaurant to celebrate seeing each other and his NC4K adventure.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Referring back to the Introduction of this journal:
"To me, it seems like it's a lot of 'I did this, then I did that. And here's a picture of some food.'  Regardless, I hope you enjoy the ride."

Here's a picture of some food:

Heart 1 Comment 0
eggplant tartare with fennel-orange sauce, fennel green sorbet, cucumber, dill oil
Heart 1 Comment 0
Morel ravioli in morel broth, artichokes, beans, and lovage
Heart 2 Comment 0
Roasted tranche and baked praline from the Allgäu pasture, beef truffle sauce, red onion jam, summer beetroot with unstuffed goose liver and corn cream
Heart 2 Comment 0
roasted Norway lobster with macadamia, crustacean hollandaise, yuzu chutney, cauliflower served in two ways
Heart 0 Comment 0
heart cherries filled with caramelized hazelnut, Gianduja ganache, coffee ice cream, and Taunus spruce sprout sauce
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is a real cherry, but the stem is made from chocolate and the pit was replaced with a toasted hazelnut.
Heart 1 Comment 0
vanilla mousse with pistachio, raspberries, "yoghurt sorbet" and salted pistachio crumble
Heart 1 Comment 0
petit fours
Heart 1 Comment 0
petit fours
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were really full by the end of the meal, but not uncomfortably so.

<><><><><>
18 July 2024
<><><><><>

On Wednesday, we had two goals: finish boxing the bikes and riding the paternoster elevator. Google it, they're interesting. Unfortunately, after a hike to the Hotel Fleming, we discovered it wasn't running today. They no longer make them because of some minor mechanical problems... like one death every year prior to 2002 (that's just in Germany), and the 3000% higher risk of accidents over conventional elevators. Other than those insignificant issues, though, they're really cool.
Heart 2 Comment 3
Jon AylingHaha - my university department, a 7 floor tower, had a paternoster elevator/lift! Students used to ride it all the way around the top, so they'd emerge standing on their heads on the way down. I used it a few times but never dared do that... The whole tower is gone now!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Mark BinghamTo Jon AylingWhat?!?!? That's hilarious!! I'm so jealous!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Halûk OkurTo Jon AylingLol, I've watched this as a joke on a candy camera show on German TV.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago

<><><><><>
19 July 2024
<><><><><>

Thursday, our last day, we completed the final touches on boxing up the bikes, then rented scooters to look around Frankfurt.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As mentioned previously, I like looking at stickers on doors, the backs of signs, etc.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
a lemonade break
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Opera House
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

  

 

And another surprise!! My friend from Italy, Marco, whom I met in 1992, came to meet us for dinner in Frankfurt. He was in Strasbourg for work and drove 3 1/2 hours out of the way so we could visit. We had a nice dinner, and spent the evening together before he headed back to his family near Trieste the following morning.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We saw these condos on the way back to our hotel.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I like the pattern
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Apparently, Patrick O'Hara and Susanna Mulligan were in Frankfurt at the same time. We were too busy vacationing to be able to look at Cycleblaze, so I didn't find out they were there until we returned home. That's too bad; I would've enjoyed meeting other Cycleblazers.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0