Day 7 - Oudon to Nantes - Schnooks Triangulates the Loire Valley - Tandem Tour - Sept 2024 - CycleBlaze

September 9, 2024

Day 7 - Oudon to Nantes

Heart 0 Comment 0

Stomachs still groaning from last night’s feast, we rolled out of bed and stumbled downstairs for breakfast at 0900.  Lars presented home-baked bread, croissants, and other goodies that we could barely make a dent in.

The breakfast room
Heart 5 Comment 0

We were on the road by 1030.  Our route to Nantes wandered off of the Loire a Velo route, because we wanted to explore the countryside around Nantes.  So we took off to the northwest on a long loop that would connect us to the Velodysee (Eurovelo 1) which in turn would lead us into the center of Nantes.

Rain wasn’t being predicted, but the day was on the cool side, with some wind, and the sky was very cloudy.   We pedaled past farms and small villages on narrow, traffic-free roads.

Since we were both stuffed from last night and breakfast this morning, we decided not to stop for lunch.  We took a break about every 10km and concentrated on enjoying the stress-free cycling.

The only event of note was arriving at a ford across a stream.  Luckily a footbridge had been provided.  I would not have wanted to risk a crossing.  The water was about 20cm deep and moving quickly.  The crossing looked like it was paved under the water, but I don’t know what kind of vehicle could cross there without damage.  We took the footbridge.

Oh, that’s why there was a “Do Not Enter” sign on this road a few hundred meters back!
Heart 5 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonHow lucky to have the foot bridge!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Using the footbridge
Heart 5 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesWise move. It doesn't take very deep fast flowing water to sweep a vehicle, let alone a bicycle, away.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago

We took a break in front of the train station in Nort-Sur-Erdre, a nice-looking village that was shut tight on this Monday morning.  From there, it was a short ride to the Nantes-Brest canal and its wide towpath.  We enjoyed being along a canal again.

The Nantes-Brest Canal
Heart 3 Comment 0

After a bit, we came to a lock with a cute little cafe alongside.  We couldn’t resist stopping for a coffee.   It was so lovely to sit and enjoy the location.  So quiet and peaceful.  Several other cyclists were enjoying the spot, too.

A short break along the canal
Heart 2 Comment 0

Back on the canal, we rode a bit more before branching off to meet EV1.  This began a fun series of bike paths, quiet roads, and almost hiking paths that required constant vigilance and careful navigation.  We had a great time, though, zooming around through the forest.

Zooming through the forest! Yippee!
Heart 6 Comment 0

Eventually we found ourselves on a serious cycle path that led us gradually into Nantes alongside the train line and a major road.  Drivers were very courteous at the points where we had to cross roads.  It made for a very low-stress method for getting closer to town.

Along the road
Heart 2 Comment 0

All of that went out the window, however, when we hit the university part of town.  We were ignominiously dumped onto the streets and although there were bike lanes painted on the road, it took some stern city riding skills to follow our route unscathed.

Following this was a bunch of high-stress navigation that eventually led us to the city center.  No pictures were taken because…well, we were a little busy with other things.  Like trying to navigate.  And not get killed.

We started walking when things just go too crazy, and eventually rolled up to our lodging for 2 nights - the Best Western Nantes Hotel Graslin.  The lovely lady behind the desk led Rich and Schnooks to the bike garage (which is down an adjacent street).  5 Euros a night.  There’s nothing to lock the bike to in the garage, so Rich locked Schnooks to herself and we’re going to trust the locked garage door.

Then up to our room to clean up.  We still haven’t eaten lunch as of 1730 and neither of us is hungry!  That’s a sure sign of overindulgence.  Nonetheless, we dined at Maria, a few steps from the hotel, splitting a Caesar salad and a magnificent wood-fired pizza.   We’ll sleep well tonight!

Today's ride: 68 km (42 miles)
Total: 402 km (250 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rachael AndersonI’m glad you made it safely to your hotel! Navigating big cities is rarely easy even if there are bike paths.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Michael HutchingEnjoying reading about this route we did in 2016, Rich. We really enjoyed Nantes with. The Ile des Machines, but the botanical gardens were also a hoot, with some comical arrangements of plants- like kale of all things! Maybe they’re still there.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago