Tiptoe, tiptoe... - End-to-end the downhill way - CycleBlaze

June 23, 2024

Tiptoe, tiptoe...

LEJOG Day fourteen: Helmsdale to John O'Groats

Did you ever play 'monster' when you were a kid? I think it goes by several different names, but the basic game is the same. Someone plays the monster, and everyone else has to creep up on them while their back is turned. If you reach the monster without being caught, you win. But when they look behind, which they do as often as they wish, if they see you moving, you're out, eaten, and have to go wait on the sidelines to see if others can do better.

Today, Scotland roused itself slowly. It was, after all, Sunday. Folk occupied themselves with lie-ins, with cooking leisurely breakfast, or perhaps even with a little gardening. It was another football day, do or die for the tartan army in the European cup, with qualification for the knockout round in the balance. And the minds of the Scots were very much on defeating 11 Hungarians on a small flat plot of green somewhere in a foreign country. Chores had to be done before the game.

At around this juncture, with Scotland focused elsewhere, a satellite picture of the far north might have revealed a small dot moving slowly along the Eastern coast of the country. Zooming in closer, it would have resembled a man and a bicycle. Surreptitiously but steadily, the dot progressed from lane to lane, threading a path northwards, staying off the main tracks, and hidden from view. And at some point just after lunch, the dot could be seen closing in on a small signpost marked "John O'Groats". Because while Scotland had been distracted by Sunday morning, and dreaming of defeating Hungary, Raven and I had made it to the monster.  We had finally vanquished Scotland. 

Our LEJOG is complete.

The day dawned early, and grey. I suspect that with 19 hours of daylight to cover, the sun spreads itself thinly in these parts, shining strongly only when it absolutely has to. So we slipped out of our hotel under a cold and clouded sky, straight onto the first hill climb of the day as we rose from the harbour of Helmsdale back into the last of the rolling Scottish hills. 

Raven got her own stable at the hotel last night. Seems we weren't the only cyclists in town. There was a lot of expensive bikery going on in this room.
Heart 4 Comment 0

I knew there were a couple of long and steady climbs awaiting us at the outset. They didn't disappoint, but it was nothing we hadn't encountered many times before. It felt cold today though; I'd read of heat warnings in place across much of the UK, but the residents of northernmost Scotland certainly weren't going to be troubled. Even the hills looked different, flecked with drifts of wispy white flowers that almost resembled snow under the sullen skies. I shivered. Today wasn't about the journey, it was about the destination.

Someone out there will know what these are. White and wispy is as far as my plant knowledge will take me. Soz.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Climb two was, pretty much, the last one of our adventure. As we crested it, we were greeted by a bank of bright yellow flowers. We were barely ten miles in, but already, it felt like the beginning of the end.

It wasn't quite confetti and streamers, but as celebrations go it was definitely more eco-sustainable.
Heart 5 Comment 0

I paused for coffee in Lybster, around 20 miles along, but there wasn't much happening. Only the local convenience shop was open, so I bought a chocolate bar and a cold drink, which I consumed looking out to sea. From here, we were turning inland, and the next time we saw water it would be on the north coast, just a couple of miles from our destination.

That's the sea, there. Both the view and the coffee stop felt anticlimactic, and I was keen to press on.
Heart 4 Comment 0

The inland route was functional but dull. On a sunnier day, it might have felt different, but today it was just 15 miles of unrelieved straight road, rolling gently up and down through featureless fields. Then it curved slightly, before continuing in the same vein. The only variation was the windfarm, whose blades turned silently in recognition of the west wind which pressed against us on the open ground.

This went on for some time. And then more. If you look carefully (or maybe zoom), you'll see the forest of wind turbines scattered across the landscape.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looch, a loch. Our last one. Unexpectedly, we did encounter water again, in the form of loch Watten. It reflected the grey of the sky.
Heart 3 Comment 0
How rude. After 900 miles, and on this road, you wouldn't be fast either, mate. There's no need for name-calling.
Heart 7 Comment 0

And then we crested the brow of our last uphill slope, and after 50 long and unremarkable miles, we could see the water again. If the wheel came off here, I'd be able to pick Raven up and carry her over the finish line. I didn't need to, though. We'd finish the tour in the same way that we'd managed every last hill before; clipped in, and speeding towards the endpoint.

The North Sea, with the island of Stroma in the distance.
Heart 4 Comment 0

And then suddenly, we were there. I don't know that there's a great way to finish this without it sounding like an anticlimax, but I promise you that it certainly didn't feel that way. We'd known we'd do this, ever since the Cairngorms, and I simply had the warm satisfaction of a job completed. At the signpost, I met a lovely couple who agreed to take the obligatory picture for me. We chatted amiably, and I went to grab some lunch from the nearby cafe. Five minutes later, they came back to me.

We bought you something, she said. It felt like you should mark the occasion. From us, and from all the other people who wouldn't be brave enough. 

What a beautiful way to end the day, with the kindness of strangers.

Tomorrow, Orkney. The ferry leaves in two hours. I'd best make haste.

I seem to recall a similar picture, about 900 miles ago.
Heart 5 Comment 0
My keepsake, courtesy of two wonderful strangers.
Heart 7 Comment 2
Rich FrasierThat's incredibly sweet. Congratulations!!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Kathleen JonesWow, how kind of them. Finishing up a big feat like the End to End can feel so anticlimactic, especially when you’re by yourself. These folks did you a solid.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
We're not quite done yet... onwards to the Orkney ferry, now, but this covers the ride to JoG. Route details at https://ridewithgps.com/trips/194208858
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 miles (89 km)
Total: 938 miles (1,510 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Kathleen JonesChapeau! Well done.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Pip MooreWell done Mr M! So proud of you! Enjoy the beer tonight, you so deserve it! 😘
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
john shuttleworthWe were with you all the way .. honest, we were
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Lesley AndersonWell done!! Epic journey and a great way of keeping your ‘audience ‘ with you as you nailed it.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago