Epilog: Tourist days in St. Louis and the drive home - He Caught the Katy - CycleBlaze

May 22, 2024 to May 25, 2024

Epilog: Tourist days in St. Louis and the drive home

A pleasant way to wrap up

Wednesday 22 May

WE TAKE OUR TIME on the way out of Jefferson City.  There's no reason to rush: the train isn't due until 11:45 and is running 45 minutes behind schedule.  

At breakfast we encounter the same woman we had seen at Pilot Grove Monday night and again a few times during Tuesday's ride.  We chat casually for a bit before she has to get underway then we head back to our room.  After a couple hours of additional lounging around we get packed and ride the 0.7 miles to the Amtrak station.

The Missouri state Capitol building stands high on a prominent hill right by the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's still cicada time.
Heart 3 Comment 0

The train arrives and the conductor is expecting us.  We're told to load our bikes into the end of the cafè car, which we do with minimal fuss and no drama.

It's about a two hour ride to Kirkwood.  We relax, chat with a Park Service volunteer (a group of volunteers-in-training apparently rode out to Jeff City for the interval between the westbound and eastbound trains, and are now returning to St. Louis) about the Gateway Arch, and enjoy the ride.  I'm profoundly relieved to not be riding.  In addition to my being tired, the weather has turned damp so the Katy would've been sloppy.  I don't think it would have been as soft as it was Monday but we'd definitely be grit covered to a greater degree than usual.

Disembarking in a light drizzle at Kirkwood makes me glad we're only 2.3 miles from Susan's place, though by the time we're ready to roll the rain has stopped.  Susan greets us as I open the garage, and all is well.

After we've settled in we visit some more, then head to cousin Gwen's place (cousin to me, that is: she's Susan's sister) for a tasty dinner and more visiting.  It's about as easy a day as one might wish for.

Thursday 23 May

Another day of R and R.  The big ticket item is our visit to Gateway Arch National Park, on Wil's short list of things to be seen while here.  He worked for 15 years as an iron worker before switching to IT, and really wants to see this remarkable structure. 

We were really there.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Perspective.
Heart 2 Comment 3
Scott AndersonThat’s mesmerizing. It never occurred to me to want to see this before now.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Keith AdamsTo Scott AndersonThanks- I'm very pleased with it. The clouds add to the effect of the near-mirror-image symmetry. The drawings, plans, and so forth indicate that the aspect ratio of the Arch is 1:1 but it sure doesn't look like it to me.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Noe Hernandez FloresI heard some funny back and forth from the Adams family while we visited this beautiful Monument.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago

Once we're home it's my turn to take care of dinner.  None of the others has ever had Mr. Keith's Homemade Pizza, a situation I have now rectified.   After dinner we all call it an early night.  Doing little or nothing all day is exhausting

Friday 24 May

Before we went west at the start of the ride, Susan and Gwen mentioned that the Cubs will be in town for Memorial Day weekend and asked if we're interested in going to Friday's game.   Ya THINK??? :)

So, that's how we'll spend the evening.  Before that Gwen comes by and we all take a short stroll through Susan's neighborhood. 

Nice place, belonging to one of Susan's neighbors. Most houses on her street are some variation of Mid-century Modern architecture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Interesting mailbox post.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Interesting mailbox.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Wil has said he would cover lunch.  He's eager to introduce us to pupusas, a food popular in his native El Salvador.

Wil explains the feast before us.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We dig in and enjoy every bite.  Afterward food coma sets in and it's nap time for a while.

Once we regain consciousness I introduce Susan and Wil to the Mexican Train version of dominoes, something my wife and I were introduced to last fall.  We've come to enjoy it, and have been scattering sets here and there with friends and relatives ever since.  I've given Susan a set as a thank-you gift for her hospitality, so she needs to learn how to play.

The ball game doesn't happen, though: approaching heavy weather first delays play then causes it to be canceled altogether, after we've sat for almost two hours waiting for the first pitch.

So close...
Heart 1 Comment 0
... and yet so far.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Scott AndersonBe glad you weren’t out on your bikes!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Keith AdamsTo Scott AndersonWe were indeed very glad. Missouri has had a LOT of rain recently- something like 13 inches in the week or two before our arrival- and is due for more in the coming days. We're quite fortunate to have (mostly) hit a window of decent conditions.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago

Saturday 25 May

We bid Susan adios just around 7:00 and make the long drive back to Maryland.  Traffic's surprisingly light for Saturday of Memorial Day weekend; we make excellent time with no road construction delays and only a few traffic-induced slowdowns.  As we near our destination, we do encounter a frog-strangler of a rain, so heavy that any speed faster than 30 mph is inadvisable and unsafe.  It's only that heavy for a few minutes, though, and soon enough we're able to resume regular interstate speed.

10 p.m. sees me into my driveway, 14 hours and one time zone change removed from Susan's.  I unload Serenity and my gear but am sufficiently fatigued that I forget to close the rear liftgate on my car, as I discover the following morning when I go to bring in the paper.  All's well, though: nothing's been disturbed and it didn't rain so the interior of the car is still dry.

It was a great trip but likely one I'm not apt to repeat.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Noe Hernandez Flores lessons learn
-shorter rides
- Deside hommok or tent not both
- time your self don't rush it
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
John PickettI can certainly relate to your Katy slog. I ended up leaving the trail for the last 20 or 30 miles. My bike was a mess and rural roads were much easier.

ICYMI I abandoned my tour after four days due to inexplicable fatigue. I am on the mend and contemplating a reboot.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Keith AdamsTo John PickettSaw your post on Rootchopper. I know you're the persistent type and won't be easily discouraged.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago