We're heading to Japan and South Korea - Six Wheels Through Japan and South Korea - CycleBlaze

October 19, 2024

We're heading to Japan and South Korea

We are heading back to Japan  with our trikes  for another 3 month adventure. This trip, we will also be riding in South Korea, for perhaps a month.  This will be our third trip to Japan in the past two years and we can’t get enough of it.  
There are so many things we love about Japan. Here are few….great food, Conbinis (convenience stores),  super friendly, hospitable people and  reasonable prices on accommodation and food. We love the public  hot spring baths that are everywhere and it is just what a tired body needs from cycling all day. We are so hooked on the experience and the therapeutic effects of the mineral spring water. Like so many experiences in Japan, we are often the only Gaijins (foreigners). 
Despite the limited cycling  infrastructure, we find the riding to be excellent due to the kindness and patience of drivers.   Most times when a vehicle passes us, every member of the family is pressed up to the window and waving with both hands.  Their hospitality sometimes extends to them proceeding to a Conbini,  buying water or snacks for us and waiting at the side of the road.  Another unexpected type of  welcome is the encouragement we get from locals encouraging us to ride alongside them on the crowded sidewalks in the city. It is like an intricate dance we all perform to make our way in the cities with respect on  the busy streets.  

Japan can be hard work making up cycle routes, dealing with language challenges, conquering big hills and learning about their culture so that we are respectful and not causing offence. Nonetheless, Japan remains a place that has touched us in a unique way. We love its people and the natural beauty of its countryside. 

Can’t wait to see what this journey brings us.  Stay tuned.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonI’m envious. This is much like a tour we considered about seven years ago - a month in South Korea followed by a second pass through Japan.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Ron SeguinHow exciting! I know what you mean about can’t get enough of Japan. I plan to go back every year as long as I can ride.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago