In Transit while an Atmospheric River pummels the BC Coast - Six Wheels Through Japan and South Korea - CycleBlaze

October 19, 2024

In Transit while an Atmospheric River pummels the BC Coast

Travelling with trikes is, for us, the best way to see the world.  Our Azub TiFly trikes are a thing of beauty and built with care by this Czech company.   They are super comfortable with suspension in the front and the rear, very stable, have an easy fold and their strange appearance always break the ice with locals.

I mentionned that it is an easy fold, but packing them for the airplane takes time.  Barry disappears to the garage for a few days and I deal with the house, packing, banking etc. Our local building supply, Windsor Plywood has everything we need…styrofoam tubes that we use for the frame, lots of bubble wrap, silver wrap, bungee cords and lots of tape. No matter the type of bike, I think we all feel a surge of relief when we successfully navigate check in at the airport. When we are lucky, we escape fees, but you never know.  Since we started flying with Japanese airlines…ANA and JAL, we have encountered superb service and kindness. Highly recommended.

Mary Ellen’s trike…Barry tries to minimize any damage by covering all vulnerable areas. Next step is the fold and attach the seat with bungee cords.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Good friends, Leslie and Chris, have a big truck which can handle our awkward load in getting us to the ferry terminal. Thanks guys!
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is a miserable day today. The Atmosphere River has brought very heavy rain and winds. Living on an island, we have learned to get to the airport the night before if we can.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Salish Eagle is one of the BC Ferries’ ships that provides service from the Southern Gulf Islands to Tsawwassen on the mainland.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Now our trip is real, it’s here and we are excited. Bon voyage!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Getting a jump start on Japanese flavours…dinner at the airport at Japadog…yum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
So good…teriyaki, cheese, strips of seaweed, sausage. 😺
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vancouver Airport is one of our favourites in the world. This exquisite jade feature is a popular place to stop and take photos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are settled in at the Fairmont Airport Hotel…the weather continues to be pretty nasty. This is the first time we have stayed here before a trip. But with our load of bags and trikes, it will be nice to get up and be a short walk to our gate for check in.
Heart 0 Comment 0
JAL workers welcoming their customers.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is a wonderful tradition - the passengers are greeted with a welcoming message, and then they bow in respect before checking us in.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0