Day 14: Murayama to Yamagata - A Fistful of Yen - CycleBlaze

October 9, 2024

Day 14: Murayama to Yamagata

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's our rest day! Yay! Our rest days have not been "zero" days, but we don't mind. We relaxed and had more off-the-bike fun than usual, and that's what matters most. We'll be well-rested and in good spirits for tomorrow's big mountain stage.

We lounged around until 9:30, checked out, then rode over to the nearby Daiso for another round of dollar-store madness.

Our next objectives were clear:

  • Ride
  • Grab lunch on the way
  • Go to Montbell to buy some of the gear that has died on us
  • Check in to the hotel
  • Relax and check out the neighborhood

I expected all of it to be city riding, but Komoot, as usual, did a great job of mixing things up for us. The price one pays for this variety is -- ugh! -- gravel. We got it out of the way early.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Lunch was udon at the Yashinoya fast food chain. I liked it!

Heart 0 Comment 0

We were eager to reach Montbell to check out all the goodies. The store wasn't big, but they had almost everything we were looking for! Extra tent stakes, a compression sack, windbreaker (mine ripped), tights (also ripped), headlight (the rechargeable battery in mine was dying), helmet covers (falling apart). It wasn't cheap but I think we got good value for our money, and we were replacing items that we've used for many years of bike commuting, touring, and training.

On the way in...
Heart 0 Comment 0
...on the way out
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were able to check in to our budget hotel early. We didn't like their idea of where to park our bikes, so they suggested we try the train station. It turns out they have indoor bike parking with an attendant on duty! It's our first time doing this. It's cool and it's cheap at 100 yen per bike per day.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We got a feel for the area by walking up to Kajo Park, where the ruins of Yamagata Castle lie. It was a surprisingly laid-back place.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
High schoolers cutting through the park on their way home
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
I love a good mural. This one has panache.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We enjoyed a hearty meal of ramen and rice before calling it a day. I truly believe we're ready to get back to some serious touring tomorrow.

Today's ride: 30 km (19 miles)
Total: 934 km (580 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0