Let the Cycling Begin - 🇮🇪 Ireland and Italy 🇮🇹 - CycleBlaze

September 8, 2024

Let the Cycling Begin

Mizen Head to Glengariff

We finally started riding today after a 2 hour very torturous route from Cork to Mizen Head.  Once there we got on the bikes and off we went in beautiful weather.  I was the only one who took the time to at least see some of Mizen Head.  I could have spent more time there but circumstances precluded it.  The road out of Mizen Head was lovely and very quiet.  Later we ran into more traffic but the drivers were mostly very respectful.  We stopped in Bantry for lunch where they served an amazing seafood chowder (according to others since I don’t like it).  We had 17km from lunch to Glengariff where we are tonight.  It is a small village and finding a place to eat on a Sunday night was a bit of a challenge.  The day went very smoothly except for one of the group who missed the turn to the hotel but Maureen and I sorted it out.  

Today’s route and profile.
Heart 0 Comment 0
When we arrived at Mizen Head these 75 cyclists were setting off on a charity ride from Mizen Head to Malin Head in 6 days.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of the landscape at Mizen Head.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Out on the point is a signal tower on Mizen Head. You have to cross a bridge to get out there.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the view along the way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Again
Heart 0 Comment 0
And again
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back from whence we came.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our little group cruising down the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The wavy blue sign is for the Wild Atlantic Way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were on some of the Irish sections of Eurovelo 1.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Maureen and me at one of our brief stops.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A sign in a local pub
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hotel for the night.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 1,360 km (845 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Hilary JaegerYay! Sunny skies so far, fingers crossed for the remaining 11 days.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Sue SteersWhat incredible scenery. Thanks for posting those.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago