Day 7 Galway to Clifden - 🇮🇪 Ireland and Italy 🇮🇹 - CycleBlaze

September 14, 2024

Day 7 Galway to Clifden

The real Wild Atlantic Way

I thought the first wild day was bad but today had nothing on it.  We had the full Wild Atlantic Way experience today.  It was a 94km day from Galway to Clifden in the Comamara.  It was drizzly for the first 20km but then we had sideways rain and very strong cross winds.  At the end of the day I asked our guide if he had experienced worse and he said yes but they didn’t ride in it, so we have a feather in our cap.  Today was absolutely the worst weather that I have ever ridden in including BC, the Rockies and NZ.  The only way it could have been worse is if it was colder.  The temps were about 15C/60F.  The rain was so hard at times it actually hurt my face when it hit me.  Sadly because of the weather I have only a few photos.  We did find a place for dinner tonight with Irish music so that was a bonus.

Today’s route, the longest thus far.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The wind direction was seriously across except for a short tail wind that was absolutely lovely.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It was really warm but there was serious rain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Trying to dry out a little at coffee.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonAnd you are still all smiling - 😊
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
We rode through some lovely moors.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our drowned rats.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another view of the terrain through the rain and mist
Heart 0 Comment 0
Again
Heart 0 Comment 0
The gang sang happy birthday and we had cupcakes with our beer at happy hour. It was a lovely touch.
Heart 1 Comment 0
My beef stew for dinner, perfect.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And some Irish music.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 94 km (58 miles)
Total: 937 km (582 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Deb HunterYikes! You are a hardy crew! Can't imagine riding under those circumstances. But I'm glad you had a lovely evening and a birthday celebration. Happy Birthday!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago