Day 6 Ballyvaughan to Galway - 🇮🇪 Ireland and Italy 🇮🇹 - CycleBlaze

September 13, 2024

Day 6 Ballyvaughan to Galway

We are now in Galway after a short ride for a semi-rest day.  The concept of not having a full rest day was a little off putting for many but with this group at least it is not an issue.  You get into a daily rhythm both on and off the bike so we are rolling along nicely.  We are now half way through the trip and all is going well.  Both CCCTS leaders are very happy with the tour company and would not hesitate to use them again.  They have a Northern Ireland tour as well that could be done alone or a very nice combination of the South and North of Ireland over 2 weeks could be created.  I briefly spoke to the tour lead about this idea.

Once cleaned up I wandered into the city centre for some sightseeing and retail therapy.  On the way back to the hotel the heavens opened so I got a little wet.  

We are halfway through in days but not in distance.  We still have over 500km to go.

A short, fairly flat ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The wind and weather for today. It was quite brisk when we started with a wind chill of about +2C.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The local community is very supportive of Ukrainian refugees.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This complex contains Irish cottage rental properties.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Burren peninsula from the north side.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We came across a local market in the village of Kinvarra. I bought a set of whiskey stones for my brother.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Deb HunterI've never heard of a whiskey stone. What do you do with it?
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Hilary JaegerYou keep them in the freezer. When you pour yourself a whiskey, you drop a couple of the stones in. Cools the drink without diluting it as ice would. Rinse the used ones off and put back in the freezer for next time. Here endeth the first lesson!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
A close up of the stones.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dunguaire Castle a 16th century. The name comes from dun (fort) of King Guaire the legendary king of Connacht.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tyrone House built in the 1770s. The house was destroyed in 1920 during the Irish War of Independence. The IRA had heard that the Black and Tans of the British army were going to use it as an infirmary so before they could the IRA set it ablaze. It has stayed this way ever since.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Galway cathedral with the river in the foreground.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A couple of swans negotiating the canal that parallels the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Galway is the home of the Claddagh ring.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An early birthday present to myself.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 995 km (618 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0