Day 4 Ballybunion to Spanish Point - 🇮🇪 Ireland and Italy 🇮🇹 - CycleBlaze

September 11, 2024

Day 4 Ballybunion to Spanish Point

Thankfully the weather improved for today, somewhat.  We had strong winds all day, sometimes behind but mostly cross or head winds.  We also had a few light showers but not the rain of yesterday.  Nonetheless the weather was cool so lots of clothes.  The total distance was 82km but we had 4 free km on a ferry across the Shanon estuary.  Again we passed through some small villages, rural areas for dairy and beef farming and coastlines.  Tonight we are in Spanish Point named for where some ships from the Spanish armada wrecked along the coast during the British-Spanish war.  Some of the Spanish sailors were executed by British authorities but others survived and intermarried with the locals.  The term “black Irish” refers to the Irish who have a little darker skin and hair due to the Spanish genes.

Today’s route and profile.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wind direction gusting up to 50kph.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beach in Ballybunion this morning.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Sue SteersA beautiful spot!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
We were headed to Tarbert and the ferry.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our coffee stop in the village of Tarbert. This is a local jail known as a Bridewell in the era of its use that lasted until 1952. I was resurrected as a museum and small coffee shop run by community volunteers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Me in the stocks at the jail.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A display of a local being arrested for letting his cattle graze on the women’s land that was not his. He was sentenced to 7 days in jail for that.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Me with a Shillelagh a heavy wooden stick used as a walking stick but also as a weapon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Shanon estuary ferry.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Maureen and Gino waiting at the ferry
Heart 0 Comment 0
The winds were strong again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A monument in Kilrush dedicated to 2 Kilrush nationalists who were judicially murdered by the British after they helped 2 fenian chiefs escape a Manchester prison.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our lunch stop in Kildee.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beach in Kildee.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of our gang crossing a bridge near the Doonbeg castle ruins.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We passed by this golf course. You couldn’t pay me to play this course.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beach in Quilty complete with wind surfers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beach in the other direction.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Star of the Sea church built in 1909 by local people as a memorial to rescue of French sailors who wrecked in a storm. The ships bell is under the altar.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 78 km (48 miles)
Total: 1,148 km (713 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0