Day 3 Killarney to Ballybunion - 🇮🇪 Ireland and Italy 🇮🇹 - CycleBlaze

September 10, 2024

Day 3 Killarney to Ballybunion

Rain and wind

So much for my wish for no rain, we got the full wrath of the Irish weather today minus snow.  We had driving rain and strong head winds.  The temperature never got above 14C (55F).  Of course the rain stopped 5km from our hotel but the wind did not let up.  Needless to say there were not many photo opportunities rather we just put our heads down and rode.  We had the steepest climb so far hitting 10% on a couple of occasions.  We passed through many little places all begging with “Bally” which apparently means place of.  Frequently the second part is the name of a local family.  Tonight we are in Ballybunion most famous for its golf course by the same name.  Since it had stopped raining I took a little detour to take a look.  It is a classic links course put on the map by Tom Watson who played here and raved about it.  There was a long hot shower and a mountain of laundry Tod at the end of the ride, hopefully it will dry by tomorrow.

Today’s route plus a little extra to checkout the golf course.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We fought the wind all day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wind speeds
Heart 0 Comment 0
Maureen all kitted out in her rain gear.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A historic windmill at out coffee stop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Me in my rain kit complete with a toque (beanie for non-Canadians) under my helmet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our lunch stop was a bit of a train wreck of drying clothes.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Sue SteersNothing like a warm pub at the end of a cold wet ride. Epic indeed!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
The local golf course plus looking out to the sea at our lunch stop in Ballyheigue.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The 18th green at Ballybunion.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Jan MeyerNice to see the Ballybunion course again AND the cemetary.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Looking back to the 18th tee
Heart 0 Comment 0
The first hole complete with graveyard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The remnants of a castle on the beach at Ballybunion.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cliff of Ballybunion on the North Atlantic.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Deb HunterI'm in love with the name Ballybunion!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

Today's ride: 81 km (50 miles)
Total: 1,229 km (763 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0