Day 1 @the Belvedere-Montefiore - 🇮🇪 Ireland and Italy 🇮🇹 - CycleBlaze

September 22, 2024

Day 1 @the Belvedere-Montefiore

Last week this region was hit by the rain storm Boris that left lots of flooding and even resulted in evacuations of some areas.  I noticed a lot of wet areas when I was passing by on the train yesterday.  Sadly the Trilogy bike club was here last week and had 4 rides completely washed out. It looks like we are going to be much luckier with the weather.  As is my plan I started with an easier ride today, a Panorama category ride, to see how the body felt and to suss out the bike.  I am riding a Bianchi with the same motor system, but mechanical Shimano.  I thought that I had asked for Di2 but I didn’t get it.  True to form we had a coffee top at a castle (Montefiore Conca) which means it was up a 5km climb.  The castle is a well restored fortress from the Middle Ages.  There was lots of fighting in this area during WWII but the castle was not damage.  There were some German and English dressed re-enactment soldiers from the battle of the Gothic Line that raged here for months.  It was a good shake out ride so I will go longer tomorrow.


if you want more information on the Gothic Line checkout this link.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_Line

Cindy under a pomegranate tree.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Montefiore part way up the climb
Heart 1 Comment 0
Again but close to the top
Heart 0 Comment 0
The re-enactment soldiers. The one on the right is a pretty sad looking Major General.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We found the torture room with some pretty graphic photos but I just put Cindy in the stocks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This says one of the most beautiful villages in Italy Montefiore Conca.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some lovely ceramics on display in the village.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our guides and a local who plied them with wine.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Hilary JaegerI see Dennis is still there!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Me in the stocks too for the second time this vacation.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonLooking good in those stocks
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Cindy captured this photo on the path today, happy dog.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Marina making a traditional appetizer from this region.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mine stuffed with cheese, prosciutto and arugula aka rocket.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The finished product, delicious.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 53 km (33 miles)
Total: 382 km (237 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0