Ups & Downs was the Name of the Game - Off to the Ride of the Falling Rain - CycleBlaze

August 1, 2024

Ups & Downs was the Name of the Game

Arrochar to Teychreggan Hotel (North Port of Loch Awe)

When we set off this morning the clouds were low and the ground was wet.  Not rain wet, but cloud mist wet.  Weather reports indicated that no rain was expected and that the sun might appear later in the afternoon.

Saying goodbye to Arrochar across the Loch Long from us.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We set off with a bit of worry because within the first 10k we were supposed to have a climb with 14% ascents.  The road out of Arrochar was a highway with a bit of traffic … well a bit more than a bit.  We were happy when we could turn off the highway at the base of the climb onto Old Military Road.  The entrance had bollards so traffic couldn’t use the road.  Perfect!  It was a new road surface.  Perfect!  Then came the locked gate with only steps for pedestrians to climb the fence next to it.  We were forced to unload and lift everything including the bike over the gate. 

 And then came the second locked gate.  And the third.  We thought we’d been spared as a highway maintenance truck met us at the third gate.  He unlocked the first padlock, but didn’t have the key for the second one.  So, once again, off came the panniers, Chuck heaved the tandem over to me, and we reloaded it.  Then we came to the fourth gate; fortunately, this one had an access that allowed us to walk around the end.

The beginning of Old Military Road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
After crossing the first gate.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And the second gate.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The cows are amused at seeing a tandem ascending this gated road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And we succeeded in getting over the 3rd gate.
Heart 2 Comment 0
If only he’d had the right keys!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking back down over Old Military Road from the rest stop accurately named “Rest & Be Thankful”.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We were happy that the steep climb was over. Actually I’m not sure if we were happier that the steep climb was over or that we didn’t have to scale any more gates.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Mo SchwartzRabbies tour van in The background is such irony!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Sanna PhinneyTo Mo SchwartzI know! I had to look at it several times to be sure what I was reading.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
The old engraved stone at Rest & Be Thankful.
Heart 3 Comment 0

The countryside was absolutely stunning today!

Mountain View’s.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lake alongside the road.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our first sighting of Loch Fynes.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We stopped in Inverary to see the sights and visit castle.  This is truly a quaint tourist town.  

The town of Inveraray.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Inveraray Jail.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Inveraray Castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Armada Cannon at Inveraray Castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our first sighting of Loch Awe was awe inspiring.  Sadly, it was a wonderful descent and we didn’t stop for photos of the lake with its various islands.  But once the road leveled out, we stopped to check out some castles.  

Not really sure what this property is, but it looked amazing!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Kilchirn Castle.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Loch Awe.
Heart 1 Comment 0

It was a day for stops … next was St. Conan’s Kirk.  It was built by Walter Douglas-Campbell between 1881-1886 and extended in 1906-1914.  Heavy oak beams were reclaimed from the shipwrecks of the HMS Caledonia and HMS Duke of Wellington.  He used an eclectic blend of church styles from ancient Roman to Norman.

St. Conan
Heart 0 Comment 0
St. Conan’s Kirk.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The cloister.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ceiling showing the heavy reclaimed beams.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The main chapel.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Front view of St. Conan’s Kirk.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Further down the road we stopped to check out the Hollow Mountain, Cruachan, a hidden wonder of the highlands.  In the center of Ben Cruachan lies a massive cavern high enough to house a 7 story building.  Inside this cavern enormous  turbines convert the power of water into electricity.  

Visitor Center at Cruachan. Sadly, we didn’t have time to take the tour.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Time was getting away from us, so we pressed on to our end destination … a hotel along the shore of Loch Awe.

We’re finally off the main road and the trees have cleared showing off the green hills.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Spectacular scenery.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Welcome to Teychreggan Hotel.
Heart 2 Comment 0
View from the hotel entry.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The grounds are amazing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We went for a wild swim. The water felt lovely!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Chuck even joined me.
Heart 2 Comment 0
My dinner of duck cooked 2 ways. Delicious!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Chuck’s pan seared trout. He said it was scrumptious.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And his dessert: apple tart tatin.
Heart 1 Comment 0
After dinner we went out and sat in our barrels by a fire.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Dusk is slowly creeping in over Loch Awe.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We wandered around the property and discovered these little leprechaun housing units.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Accommodations: Teychreggan Hotel. What a fantastic find!  Fully self-contained facility at the end of a road along the shore of Loch Awe.  What a wonderful evening!

Day 3: Arrochar to Teychreggan Hotel on Loch Awe.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 90 km (56 miles)
Total: 212 km (132 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0