Two Ferry Day - Off to the Ride of the Falling Rain - CycleBlaze

August 5, 2024

Two Ferry Day

Bruichladdich to Blackwaterfoot

Today’s agenda called for traveling 128 kilometers.  However, the ferry schedule had changed since we initially planned this trip and our accommodations on Islay were 28 kilometers from the ferry terminal.  The problem?  The ferry departs at 9:45 am and we’d have to leave about 7:30 to get there in time with an allowance for any problems along the way.  The weather was supposed to be wet, cold, and windy.  The solution: catch a ride.  The problem?  Our friends’ cars were too small for the tandem.  The solution: a taxi service that has a van.  We were ever so thankful for the lift as it was pretty nasty outside.  

The Chinook tucked in with the baggage of the two others we picked up for the ferry drop.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Comfortably tied up with company.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This hydraulic mezzanine still amazes me!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We settled into our same table looking out the back windows of the ferry, ordered our hot drinks, and read our books as the ferry forged through the stormy sea for the 2 hour ride.  When we docked at Kennacraig, the weather had cleared enough that we were able to stay mostly dry.  We had a 8 kilometer trek across the peninsula to catch the ferry at Claonaig.  The problem?  The second ferry leaves 40 minutes after we docked and we had to wait until all the cars exited the ferry before we’re allowed off; which took 15 minutes.  If we miss the ferry, we’ll have to wait 1.25 hours for the next one.  Knowing it was doubtful we could catch the ferry, we did our best to traverse over the steep hill as quickly as we could.  We turned onto the road to the ferry landing with 2 minutes to spare for sailing time … no way!  But the cars were driving out from the landing.  Just maybe it was running a bit late?  They were loading the last 3 cars and we walked right on.  Phew!  We were super happy because there wasn’t any kind of shelter at this ferry landing to hang out in while waiting for the next ferry.  

Saying goodbye to Islay in the falling rain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bike parking on this second ferry was quite different. This ship is much smaller and the trip is much shorter.
Heart 1 Comment 0

This sailing was much shorter, just 35 minutes to Lochranza on Arran Island.  When we disembarked, it was raining.  Not a shower, but raining, so we put on the full rain gear.  Off we went down the water ladened road along the shoreline.  We think the beaches were really pretty - pebbled, not sand.  But we really aren’t sure because we couldn’t see very well through the speckled glasses and the raindrops.  After quite a few kilometers it began to ease off and we could enjoy the scenery more.  We noticed that a lot of kelp had been washed ashore along this stretch of coastline.  Our highlight was spotting some seals swimming around, so we stopped to watch them and take these photos.

The wet road alongside the pebbled beach and absolutely no visual of the peninsula in the background.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The kelp that was washed up on shore. Notice that the peninsula across is beginning to appear. It's still raining at this point.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Two little seal heads bobbing in the water.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bird, kelp, and the Kintyre Peninsula is finally materializing from the mist.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rain has sputtered into a shower now and the roads are very wet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More heads are bobbing along as we ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Then we spied this guy. He sure wasn't sunbathing, because there wasn't any sun on this day! We watched him for quite some time until a wave finally crashed on him and knocked him off his perch. We laughed so hard.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Back on the road, and by now the rain had fully subsided, we came across a “Road Closed” sign.  We chose to keep going down the road because lots of times bicycles can get around closures.  Well, we came across the road maintenance crew laying new asphalt. They gave us the go ahead to walk along the side of the road and pass the paving machine, but there wasn’t enough room between it and the bracken for us to get by.  After looking at our electronic maps and not finding any alternate routes, we turned around and went back to the Deviation.  It looked like a really long way around … we didn’t have any choice as there weren’t any other paved roads.  With the improved weather conditions, we were able to remove all rain gear. Shortly after turning down this new route, I told Chuck the rear tire felt very squishy.  Flat!  As we started the tube changing process we were swarmed by midges.  After lots of bug spray, the tube was changed and we set off.  Not a kilometer down the road, the rear tire was feeling squishy again.  Flat #2!  If our moods had been better, I would’ve taken a photo of the midges all over Chuck’s arm warmer.  They were miserable swarming around our heads.  Once the tube was replaced and pumped up, we set off again.  This time we made it to Laighbent B&B in Blackwaterfoot with no further complications.  Our host served us hot tea and shortbread.  It hit the spot.  What a day!

The only photo I remembered to take after the flat tires episodes. We're riding into Blackwaterfoot.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Accommodations: Laighbent B&B and hosted by Jane.  Our room was sweet and comfortable.  Access to dinner was a short 5 minute walk from the B&B into town. 

Our accommodations in Blackwaterfoot: Laighbent B&B
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was one heck of a soggy day, but it wasn't like the crazy storm of yesterday.  Thankfully our host had a "hot room" and we were able to finishing drying yesterday's clothes, plus today's.

Day 7: Bruichladdich (on Islay) to Blackwaterfoot (on Arran). This route is missing the 28k taxi ride on Islay and the 2 hour ferry ride to Kennacraig (on Kintyre Peninsula). It begins from the ferry terminal instead.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 46 km (29 miles)
Total: 487 km (302 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0