Tailwind all the Way! - Off to the Ride of the Falling Rain - CycleBlaze

August 7, 2024

Tailwind all the Way!

Ardrossan to Glasgow Airport in Paisley

That overnight storm was still blowing strong when we were ready to set off.  There was no rain yet, but the wind was blowing like the dickens.  Today's weather reports indicate rain on & off throughout the day.  Leaving the hotel, we continued easterly along the waterfront where we were continuously sandblasted.  That stings!  But after about 3 or so kilometers we turned inland and began to head north: tailwind!

Wind driven waves - tide is out as we leave Ardrossan.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cycle path (shared with walkers, etc.) along the waterfront.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Waves beating against sea wall.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's route is just about entirely on cycle paths.  We are really impressed with the cycle paths in & out of Glasgow.  Most areas were well protected by shrubbery which sheltered us from wind.  It was an easy ride towards the big city with very few eventful or exciting things to share.

Route signage on the cycle paths was top-notch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
But signage may be signs like that shown in the photo above or it was a whimsical milepost like this one.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sometimes the route would put us on little used roads.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Views were very pretty from the tops of the small rises.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We passed under quite a few bridges that are no longer in use. Some that we crossed over are only used for the cycle path.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Castle Semple Loch sits in the middle of the Clyde Muirshiel Regional Park. Our route took us through this park.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We did stop at Castle Semple Loch's cafe and had some ginger cake washed down with a good cup of hot chocolate.  It was still quite blustery out, but so far no rain.  Twice it started to spit on us, but within a couple of minutes it was finished.  So far, so good!

Another one of the whimsical mileposts at an intersection. There are over 1000 of these mileposts that were funded by the Royal Bank of Scotland to mark the creation of the National Cycle Network.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A ruin standing alone above the cycle path.
Heart 1 Comment 0
When we left Glasgow, we saw an amazing bicycle sculpture . . . and here's another one.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This milepost was the same shape as the first one we spotted, but different colors.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We came to a 3-way intersection and this artwork was set out for all to see.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The 3-way milepost - these were so amusing!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We made it back to the Holiday Inn Express conference room with plenty of time to pack up the tandem.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After we parked the bike in the conference room, we collected our stored bags and went to our room to change clothes before working on the tandem.  When we returned to the conference room - maybe 20 minutes later, if that - it started to pour outside.  For the next 10 minutes a gale blew through.  We stood looking out the windows absolutely amazed that we made it in before this storm cell hit!  Yay!  Another day without rain.

Day 9: Ardrossan to Glasgow Airport in Paisley
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 579 km (360 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0