Ferry Ride Gets the Most Mileage - Off to the Ride of the Falling Rain - CycleBlaze

August 3, 2024

Ferry Ride Gets the Most Mileage

Tarbert to Bruichladdich

Since our ferry had been canceled and we were rebooked on the afternoon boat, we needed to waste an hour after checking out of the B&B.  We rode to the end of road and checked out Loch Fyne.  Simply beautiful.  Then we had to find an ATM for more cash.  Google said there was one at the Post Office, but our cards weren’t accepted.  They sent us off to the Co-op to see if that machine would accept our cards.  Mission was successful.  Once we had our cash in pocket, we checked out the church on our out of town.

At the end of the road we could see where Loch Fyne meets the ocean. Sailboats and fisherman are enjoying the day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sailboat passes by on its way out while a ferry works its way in to the pier.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heading back into Tarbert.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Poor guy! I think he’s seen better days.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It’s truly beautiful around here.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The 8 kilometer ride to the ferry terminal in Kennacraig was very pretty and was with a bit of traffic.  Guess that should’ve been expected: 1) on the way to the ferry terminal, and 2) the morning ferry had been canceled.  We met up with our friends, E and G, in the parking lot.  As foot passengers we boarded first, secured the tandem, and got a great table with a view on the mezzanine deck.  A cup of tea, some digestive cookies, and 2 hours later we arrived at Port Askaig on the Isle of Islay.  We did pass through one squall on the ferry ride, but it was nice and dry on Islay.

Tarbert Parish Church.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The wooden ceiling was really different from other churches we’ve visited.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The detailed artistry up close.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This ocean going ferry is a lot bigger than those we rode on in Ireland!
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Finlaggan docking at Kennacraig. This ferry was built in Poland.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Being first on we were able to see just how cavernous the ship is! And it has a mezzanine level for cars.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Prime seating for our journey.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cars are offloading at Port Askaig on the Isle of Islay. They empty the lower deck before bringing the mezzanine level down.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back at our ferry from Port Askaig.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode across the island to our B&B just up the hill from the village of Bruichladdich.  A parade of Massey Ferguson tractors passed us along the route.  As we rode up the hill we passed Bruichladdich Distillery and all their barrels.  We found Grace Cottage and got settled in.  Our friends picked us up and we enjoyed a nice dinner at Bridgend. 

The Massey Ferguson procession. Pardon the photos - they were taken on the fly.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 2
Karen PoretLook how clean it is! And, his shoe soles look like new ones ( or boots)?!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Sanna PhinneyTo Karen PoretWe found out that there had been some kind of agriculture show that day.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is the Loch Indaal. The island wraps around this loch like a horseshoe.
Heart 1 Comment 0

It was another good day in Scotland.  We’d been told that Islay was beautiful and it hasn’t disappointed us yet.

Day 5: Tarbert to Conisby (above Bruichladdich)
Heart 0 Comment 0

Accommodations:  Grace Cottage.  We have a nice bedroom in Paul’s house.  The guest register indicates he makes great breakfasts.

Today's ride: 34 km (21 miles)
Total: 322 km (200 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0