To Train or not to Train - Slowly Pedaling the Emerald Isle - CycleBlaze

May 14, 2024

To Train or not to Train

Day 0 - Dublin to Cork

We woke to semi blue skies and calm winds.  Yeah!  Dublin will experience a beautiful day.  After breakfast we settled the bike suitcases in the hotel's luggage room for long-term storage.  Then the tandem was loaded with the panniers and trunk bag and we set off to find the Heuston Train Station.  

A sweet lady from Michigan who works for Bicycle Transportation Alliance took our parting photo this morning.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Monday morning traffic was light and we were pleasantly surprised by the bike lanes offered on the main thoroughfares.  The ride to the station was quite simple.  Our goal was to give ourselves plenty of time at the train station in case we encounter resistance to taking the tandem onboard.  We purchased 2 bike slots on the train (there are only 2 available).  Walking in we didn't see an information booth, so I approached the ticket agent and asked about taking the tandem onboard and told her I had reserved 2 slots.  She looked at the bike and said "no problem as long as you can break it into two".  I told her "no problem".  The next hurdle was getting it thought the ticket turnstiles - fortunately the end chute is a wide version.  We found the train car with the bike symbol and went in.  Suitcases had been stuffed in the bike racks.  While I moved them, Chuck uncoupled the tandem.  We got it settled into place and barricaded it with those suitcases and set off to find our seats.

It fit quite nicely. Irish Rail employees were so kind and helpful.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We spent 2.5 hours in the comfort of first class. Trains are such a peaceful way to travel - stress free and relaxing.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The weather changed the further south we went.  The blue skies of Dublin turned into gray clouds and rain along the route.  By the time we arrived in Cork the light gray clouds welcomed us to the wet streets.  We found the Ashley Hotel, our home for the night, and settled in before exploring a small bit of the old city and sampling some different Irish stouts.

The Ashley Hotel - comfortable and quaint, but took forever for the hot water to arrive at the shower. Funnily, the hotel was across the street from the funeral home and next door to them was a live music bar and comedy club. Quite a mixture!
Heart 3 Comment 1
CHRISTOPHER JAMESFunny. But, no one who's "in residence" at the funeral home will complain about noise. Perhaps those attending the wake get a pint too.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
The Lee River splits and creates a small island that houses the old central city.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back across the Lee River from the "island" to the Victorian Quarter where we're staying.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We're ready to start riding, but the morning weather appears to be a bit wet.  It may be a bit of a late start to the day; we shall see.

Today's ride from Egans Guesthouse to Heuston Station with only one wrong turn.
Heart 2 Comment 0

NOTE TO SELVES:  REMEMBER TO RIDE ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE ROAD!!!!!

Today's ride: 5 km (3 miles)
Total: 9 km (6 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rich FrasierWe’re expecting a full report on all of the different stouts you’re sampling!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Deirdre Hickey Cork is a lovely small city - much friendlier than Dublin.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago