Preparation is Key - Slowly Pedaling the Emerald Isle - CycleBlaze

Preparation is Key

A year and a half in the making

We began researching the Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland and decided it would be our next European country to explore.  Neither of us have ever been there, but we do love a good dark beer.  France has incredible wine and their craft beer industry is improving, but it is difficult to find the darker beers that tickle our fancy.

The Wild Atlantic Way is a tourist route that covers about 2,600 kilometers (1,600 miles) by winding its way along the west coast.  There is a popular cycling sportive that begins/ends at Malin Head to Mizen Head, the two most northerly and southerly points on the island.  While guidebooks indicate the route can be done between 7-10 days, we have decided to take 6 weeks to cover this distance. Many of the roads that we have chosen take us along very quiet country lanes and very small paved (we hope) roads.

The Plan
Heart 3 Comment 1
Judy SielPuffy jackets for sure. I used mine often in the Nederland, covered by the rain gear! Have an awesome adventure and enjoy the beer.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

Last October we took possession of our new tandem custom built by David Lafferty at Cycles Chinook.  Unlike our other tandem that we began touring on, this gem is coupled and has the appropriate gearing for loaded touring.   David & his wife, Emily, hosted us last fall when we flew in to pickup the tandem.  They even created a weeklong cycling tour for us in New Hampshire to see the fall colors and discover how this new machine works.  We joined the "leaf peepers" and had a spectacular time.

Kancamagus Pass in October 2023. We had good weather all week, but it was changing quickly. This was our last day out, thankfully, because the storms began that evening.
Heart 9 Comment 0

Once we got the new tandem home, conveniently named "Chinook de Foix", we swapped out the big touring tires for our normal everyday road tires . . . and oh!  This bike now had a new personality.  She's really fun to ride whether loaded or not.  

The lively version in our home territory, La Bastide de Lordat, about 2 weeks after bringing her across the Atlantic.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We fly out to Dublin tomorrow.  The tandem is now nicely tucked away in the suitcases.

Case No. 1 - the frame
Heart 4 Comment 0
Case No. 2 - the wheels
Heart 4 Comment 0

Our housesitters, friends from Tucson, Arizona, have arrived and are getting settled.  Of course, there are a million things to do before we leave and I know we won't get them all done.  C'est la vie !

We must get back to packing, but we wanted to let you know that we are off on the adventure (#1) for 2024.  Hope you enjoying tagging along with us.

Do we take the puffy jackets or don't we?!!!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Scott AndersonAnxious to see how this goes for you. We keep talking about Ireland ourselves. Maybe skip the puffy jackets and take more rain gear though?
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Dave VowlesSanna, of COURSE you take the puffy jackets, this is the West coast of Ireland, for six weeks, starting in May. Some horizontal rain is guaranteed and snow or hail are highly likely. I know you often go swimming in water at 2C, but not for 4 hours at a time... Oh, and Scott's right too - more rain gear or full immersion suits would be useful... do you have sub aqua gear? P.S I couldn't find 'Round Ireland with a fridge', it may be in a box somewhere or I no longer have it. Have a great time and we'll see you in July!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
susan maaschTo Dave Vowlesi've read ‘round ireland with a fridge’ 🤣🤣🤣
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
susan maaschhave a great time. we’ll wave to you from greece!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Bill BogueThe puffy or no dilemma - perhaps puffy vests might be a suitable compromise? But then, you have probably left home by now. What was your entry airport, Shannon? Best of luck & enjoy every centimeter!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago