Day 5: Alliheis to Kenmare - Slowly Pedaling the Emerald Isle - CycleBlaze

May 19, 2024

Day 5: Alliheis to Kenmare

Breathtaking Day

When sunlight was streaming in our bedroom windows, we knew it was going to be a picture perfect day.  The various weather apps showed a 1% chance of rain, but it was scheduled for later in the day.  After another Irish breakfast (eggs, bacon, sausages and soda bread), we set off.  

When we opened our curtains this morning, this was our view.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Loading up and getting ready to move along.
Heart 2 Comment 0

When we hiked up to the mine the night before, we saw the road leaving the town but it disappeared immediately and we couldn't see where it went.  Well, let me tell you the first 10 kilometers was a rollercoaster ride.  Literally!  We went up (think steep and very short) and we went down (think steep and very short), and we went around to the left and around to the right, all while being completely swallowed up between the various rock outcroppings.  It was so much fun, and so much work!

Leaving the Alliheis bay.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The beginning of today was perfect blue sky, but still a little bit chilly.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We're following the Beara Cycleway and the roads are tiny.  Cars were non-existent.  This route was literally breathtaking!  The views and scenery took your breath away.  The steep climbs took your breath away.  We loved every minute of the route.

Foxglove and the new inlet known as Kenmare River
Heart 4 Comment 0
Kenmare River
Heart 4 Comment 0
Getting closer to Kenmare River
Heart 4 Comment 0

We came across a pier and stopped to watch a fisherman untangle his net.  Walking alongside the pier, we saw scallop shells in the water and barrels laying around.  The barrels are used to hold the ropes that are submerged in the mussel farms.  The dots we saw a couple of days ago were barrels like these.  This particular mussel rope bed was huge.

Scallop shells
Heart 3 Comment 0
Barrels with mussel ropes attached
Heart 2 Comment 0
Many ropes in this direction
Heart 2 Comment 0
More in that direction - these beds are extensive.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We discovered another stone circle, but it wasn't as well preserved as the Drombeg circle from a couple of days ago.  There were only 11 stones:  one had fallen over and the axial stone was missing.  The walk out to it was interesting.  Have you ever tried walking through bogs with cycling shoes on?  

Ardgroom Stone Circle
Heart 7 Comment 0
Apparently there are over 100 such circles in Ireland, plus many more in Scotland.
Heart 4 Comment 0

It appears we are a week too early for the organized ride "Ring of Beara Cycling Event".  We have seen their signs all along the ways since leaving Glengarriff, as well as, road markings.  It looks like they will ride all these small roads that we mapped out.  Google says it is the largest cycling event in this part of Ireland.  

Ring of Beara - "check"
Heart 3 Comment 0

As we cycled along the Kenmare River - we think that the inlets are called rivers - the geology has changed.  The rocks submerged are white colored now instead of dark.  

Further upriver - Kenmare River
Heart 2 Comment 0

Narrow roads, no traffic, river crossings, made for an entertaining day.  We rode through one stretch that reminded us of the forest routes along the Oregon coast.  The next stretch reminded us of riding through New Hampshire countryside.  The rhododendrons "trees" are still all around and now we're seeing fuchsias.  I must get a picture of them.

The most intriguing roads!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Bridge crossing
Heart 1 Comment 0

I'm running a bit late with this post.  We had too much fun listening to live music in the pub last night.  

Craft brewed stout . . . followed by a red . . . live acoustic guitar . . . lively crowd . . . lots of fun! They were only 1/2 pints.
Heart 6 Comment 0

And then the internet was spotty and it would take forever for photos to download.  But finally, yesterday's story.

Day 5: Alliheis to Kenmare
Heart 0 Comment 0

Note to ourselves:  No rain during the ride!  Thunderstorms around 9:00 pm.  Lots of sun!  And warm - 21 degrees Celsius.

Accommodation:  We learned something interesting today.  The personality of the host plays a big part on our comfort where we're staying.  The Kenmare House property and our room were great.  The hosts were rather stony and lacked personality.  Tandem storage was not available.  We were told to park it wherever we could find outside.  Even though I had requested secure covered storage - request was never acknowledged I discovered - so we ended up storing it locked under outdoor stairway.  Breakfast was marginal and had to be ordered the night before.  I guess this place was rather sterile and we would stay somewhere else in Kenmare if we were here again.

Today's ride: 76 km (47 miles)
Total: 391 km (243 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
rod dayWhere we live is wonderful but this must run it close. I am asking myself why did it take me so long to come here? I must come back!!!! Keep the blogs coming loving em.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Rich FrasierTwo beautiful days in a row - great! Those roads look crazy - glad it’s you and not us trying to ride up those hills!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago