Day 37: Ballyliffin to Culdaff - Slowly Pedaling the Emerald Isle - CycleBlaze

June 20, 2024

Day 37: Ballyliffin to Culdaff

The big goal was accomplished!

Mission:  Ride from Mizen Head to Malin Head - 2,439 kilometers - done!!

My interest in riding the west coast of Ireland began when I heard about the Mizen to Malin bike ride.  After studying that bicycle event, I learned about the Wild Atlantic Way, and then I reviewed Eurovelo 1's Celtic Route.  Our research indicated that the prevailing winds come from the south and since we're riding on the left side of the road, having the ocean on the left makes it all more scenic.  Additional research indicated that the driest time of year is May/June and September.  

We rolled out of Ballyliffin this morning and went directly to Doagh Famine Village, another site recommended to us by our Irish friends.  This village museum tells us the story of an Irish family from the 18th century to current day.  Our tour guide started the tour in the house he was raised in and explained what life was like when he was a small child.  Well worth the visit.

Doagh Famine Village.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside Pat's house. The main bed was always placed next to the fireplace which is in the kitchen. Usually this bed would be occupied by the grandparents. People also slept sitting up instead of lying down.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Learning how the Irish distilled the illegal poitin which included a taste test.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In this building we learned about the Irish wake custom. The family and friends will sit with the body for 2 days before having the burial. It's necessary to make sure they are dead.
Heart 0 Comment 0
During the Great Famine landlords evicted tenants for nonpayment and destroyed their homes with this battering ram (similar to today's wrecking ball).
Heart 0 Comment 0
A house made of peat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A weaving loom.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An original Ferguson tractor that belonged to a farmer from this village.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After spending almost 2 hours in the famine village, we set off for our second site of the day: Malin Head, which is the most northern point of Ireland.  We had a bit of a tailwind and had a great ride making good time.

Back in the late 1800s a group of farmers gathered together, brought wagons of rocks and built this cottage in one day for a homeless man who had been living in a cave. It was a particularly bad winter and everyone was concerned for the man. They were successful in persuading him to move into the house. Sadly, he passed away 6 months later.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We topped over a hilltop to this beautiful scene on our way out to Malin Head.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is another cloudy day, but not too cold or wet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lovely road to descend.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then we arrived at the most northern tip of Ireland - our goal has been accomplished.

We made it!
Heart 4 Comment 2
Judy SielCongrats! I have so enjoyed your journey, photos and amazed at the daily total miles and elevation. Enjoy your reward!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Rich FrasierWoohoo! You two are awesome!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Once again the ocean shows its force.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Waves crashing and swirling around a rock outcrop.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I believe that's Northern Ireland over there.
Heart 1 Comment 0
EIRE 80 - the 80th tower was built here. These are the markings that neutral Ireland posted to help the aviators in WWII.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Plaques of special accomplishments of riding / walking / motor scootering from Mizen Head to Malin Head. Most indicated the direct route that is much shorter than the route we've done.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Did you watch Star Wars Episode VIII? If so, you've seen Malin Head before.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In preparing for this trip, I made 35 overnight reservations for our 42 day trip.  To date, all places we've stayed have fallen into place.  Today we rolled up to our B&B and no one was home.  We called the phone number from the website and when Michael answered he informed us that he didn't have any bookings for tonight.  I read the email I have confirming our reservation and he was quite puzzled.  He said he could be here in 30 minutes if we'd like to grab something to drink at the pub while we wait.  So, we did.  Apparently he changed online booking systems around the time I made the reservation and our reservation got lost.  Poor guy!  He was so embarrassed and apologetic.  All's well in the end.  The tandem even got a special parking place in the foyer.  

Day 37: Ballyliffin to Culdaff
Heart 0 Comment 0

Note to ourselves:  Another successful day with only 3 attempts to mist on us.  It was relatively warm, so the knees were exposed.

Accommodation:  Crag Na Cor is a really nice property.  Our room is roomy and modern.  Best shower, too!  The tandem was welcomed inside the front door and is stored in  the enclosed porch.  All of us are very happy.

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 2,461 km (1,528 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0