Day 29: Rest Day in Sligo - Slowly Pedaling the Emerald Isle - CycleBlaze

June 12, 2024

Day 29: Rest Day in Sligo

Our first day of R&R with no activity planned

A very thrilling day!  We finally found a washing machine and could do real laundry instead of handwashing in the bathroom sinks/tubs.  Small things can be such a delight.

After laundry, we set off to walk around the city center of Sligo.  Unfortunately, our hosts made delicious, but huge, breakfasts, so we couldn't sample the various bakeries that we walked by.

We visited the Sligo Abbey, the Sligo Cathedral, the tourist office, searched for Brewery Street, checked out the two bike shops, and sampled a half pint of locally brewed IPA while sitting on the bank of Garvoge River.

Interior of the Sligo Abbey looking through to the altar at the far end. This abbey was originally constructed in the late 1200s and remodeled in the 1500s. Queen Elizabeth I allowed this abbey to remain.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking down on the interior that used to be a courtyard, but now is a graveyard.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another angle to show rooflines and interior.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Standing at the altar looking back to the entrance. The arches in the middle used to be the rood.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Sligo Cathedral was completed in 1875.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Sligo Cathedral altar.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sligo's city hall which was built in the mid-1800s.
Heart 3 Comment 1
CHRISTOPHER JAMESThe stones atop the windows remind me of basilicas I've seen in Tuscany. Beautiful contrast.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Sligo's courthouse which was built in 1878.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Standing with W.B. Yeats, the poet.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On the promenade along the Garvoge River.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Mo SchwartzS for Sanna. Sanna should be curled into that letter!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Now we need to learn how to superimpose his "O' on the photo above!
Heart 0 Comment 0

The TREK dealer bike shop was fantastic with a great selection of parts and bikes.  The second bike shop was more typical of most of shops we've seen in Ireland.  Neither had commemorative jerseys.  Seems we should have jumped on it in the southwest area which seems to have been more tourist centric.  Oh well!

Pearse Lodge B&B in Sligo. We highly recommend the stay with Mary & Kieron.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Mustering up the courage for tomorrow.  Weather predictions indicate 99% chance of rain with 25 kph winds with gusts up to 45 kph.  Sigh!  Okay, I know I shouldn't complain since it will only be the second day we've ridden in rain.  And it wasn't all that bad the first time . . . it's just part of the adventure.

Captain Notes: End of week four

Road surfaces have again been very nice this week.  The bike continues to perform well, but we have developed shifting issues with the front derailleur dropping the chain to the inside.  I guess it is time to learn to adjust SRAM AXS.  We also had a broken spoke on the rear wheel.  After installing our spare spoke, we only made it about 10 feet before that spoke broke as well.  We rode the next day without a spoke and had a new one installed at the bike shop in Westport.  They were very accommodating and spent some time reviewing our routes for the next couple of days and making suggestions on some changes.  Their suggestions turned out to be some of the best riding of this part of Ireland.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0