Day 26: Acail Island to Belmullet - Slowly Pedaling the Emerald Isle - CycleBlaze

June 9, 2024

Day 26: Acail Island to Belmullet

Our luck dried up!

Well, we knew it would happen someday on this trip.  We woke to gray skies and wet roads.  During breakfast we re-reviewed the various weather apps and received no good news from any of them.  Everything indicated it was going to be wet all day long.  The rain in Ireland stays mainly on the island. 

Crossing the bridge from Acail Sound to Acail. It's looking grim.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Hoping for lighter spots up north - nope.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There's a hill under that cloud - honest.
Heart 3 Comment 0

The first 50 kilometers we rode through mists - light mists, no mists, and heavier mists.  We decided to put on rain pants for the first time.  We were too lazy (denial is probably a better descriptor) to put on the rain covers for our shoes or change from the light rain jackets to the heavier ones.  

The first 14 kilometers of the ride were along the Great Western Greenway - the same one we used to come to the island.  We missed this section 2 days ago when we circumnavigated the Currane Peninsula.  It was truly beautiful - well, the part we could see was beautiful.

View from the bike path as we skirt around the end of the sound.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Just a bit wet, don't you think?
Heart 3 Comment 1
Rich FrasierStill beautiful, though!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
We were riding over there yesterday - that's the Doogort Beach area. The boat looked so lonely today.
Heart 2 Comment 0

At kilometer 33 Chuck noticed a sign for a castle and abbey and we detoured from the route to check it out.  Sadly, the castle ruins were on private property and we assumed that the "Stay Out. Private working farm" sign meant we couldn't enter.  We did check out the old church and cemetery, but didn't see any remnants of an abbey.  Thankfully, this extra bit of road was during a brief lull in the mist and we had a tailwind helping us get back on course.

The Fahy Castle at Doona ruins that we couldn't access.
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of the ships from the Spanish Armada, the Santa Maria Rata Encoronada, ran aground on Fahy Strand on September 21, 1588. The crew landed safely and set the ship afire so that it wouldn't be captured by the English. They set up camp near the castle before setting off to catch one of the other ships, the Duquesa Santa Ana, which subsequently wrecked a few days later in one of the County Donegal bays.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The church next to the Fahy cemetery.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The altar.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Bangor was a welcome sight and we went in search of a cafe.  The Sizzler was open and offered coffee.  So, we nursed our hot chocolate and coffee while consuming a delicious hot fruit scone covered with butter, black currant jelly, and cream.  This treat hit the spot and gave us the energy to go back to the outdoor elements and finish our ride.  We only had another 21 kilometers to go, but we noticed our route stayed on a busier road and there was the scenic Eurovelo 1 route taking off in a different direction.  Of course, we opted for the less traveled road and more kilometers.  What we didn't expect was the end of the mist and the beginning of the full-on rain.

Somewhere . . . Google says Toorglass.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Somewhere else . . . What can I say, it was wet and windy!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Pictures were few today due to weather conditions and the fact that there wasn't much to see.  We arrived at the Talbot Hotel in Belmullet with soggy feet.  The rain pants worked great.  Chuck provides a lot of protection from the elements for me, but was rather soggy on top.  After hot showers, we found the hotel bar and had our hot Bailey's Coffees and felt quite content.  We then discussed what we learned today:  when the weather is predicted to be wet and windy all day, we will set off with rain pants, heavy rain jackets, and shoe covers.

Day 26: Acail Island to Belmullet
Heart 0 Comment 0

We may not remember the scenery or special places along today's route, but we will remember today's experience.  Today was a hoot!  We did have a good time and will think of this day sometime when sitting at home looking out at the rainy gray skies.

Note to ourselves:  When it says it's going to rain . . . wear all the right gear.  We brought it.  We should wear it.  Smile and enjoy the ride, because we could be at home doing yard work instead.

Accommodation:  It was very hard finding a place to stay in this small town.  I couldn't find any bed & breakfasts, just self-catering accommodations.  There is a hotel and that's where we reserved a room.  It was nice walking from our room to the bar and dining room without stepping back outside in the rain.  The downside, we didn't get to walk around town.

Today's ride: 83 km (52 miles)
Total: 1,669 km (1,036 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0