Day 23: Tully to Westport - Slowly Pedaling the Emerald Isle - CycleBlaze

June 6, 2024

Day 23: Tully to Westport

We woke up to a beautiful day for a bike ride.  After what has become a typical Irish B&B breakfast we hit the road for our ride to Westport.  There were not a lot of tourist sites on today's route, but plenty of scenery to make the day interesting.  Just like a lot of other days we have ridden on this tour, the scenery was diverse and ever changing.  We rode along the sea, around Killary fjord, over the Sheeffry Pass and through forested areas, along more peat bogs, through sheep farms (chasing sheep down the road), along fast flowing streams, and past many lakes.  The kilometers flew by and we reached our destination early in the afternoon.  We had enough time to drop by the local bike shop and find a few items we needed for the rest of the journey.  

The view from the Castle House B&B in Tully.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heading around the bay from Tully.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We're riding through the Connemara National Park and getting closer to the mountains.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of several lakes we would ride past today - with the Maumtruk Mountains in the background.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This tailwind is really nice.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The hillside was full of various shades of green, and the roads were quiet and car free for most of the day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were riding through bog lands when we noticed the trenches. These trenches were hand dug.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The bricks laying alongside to dry.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Across the field was another trench and these bricks were already stacked to dry.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We entered the Killary Fjord and cycled up one side and down the other. This is the end of the fjord before we crossed to the other side.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Aasleagh Falls on the river Erriff as it flows into the Killary Fjord. The falls are a bit of a challenge for the native salmon returning from the sea.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Where the river empties into the fjord.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking across the fjord to Leenaune.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The opening of the fjord into the Atlantic.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The view from Sheeffry Pass.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Changing terrain.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The descent from the pass. That is our road down on the left.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our B&B in Westport, Clooneen House.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A cute bridge in Westport.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bridge Street in Westport. No problems finding restaurants, pubs, and shops!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Day 23: Tully to Westport
Heart 1 Comment 0

Note to ourselves:  No rain, but still quite cold.  Locals indicate that is is colder than usual right now.

Accommodation:  Clooneen House is a great B&B in Westport.  Our room is quite comfortable, but it has quite a peculiar shower.

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 1,454 km (903 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Mark BinghamI'm curious.... what exactly is a "peculiar shower?"
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Sanna PhinneyTo Mark BinghamWell, once we figured out how to turn it on, it took time to figure out how to set the temperature. Then we didn’t touch anything else because it was so temperamental. Then a few minutes into the shower it surged to a high pressure spray and was much hotter. It was bizarre.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago