Day 20: Galway to Cashel - Slowly Pedaling the Emerald Isle - CycleBlaze

June 3, 2024

Day 20: Galway to Cashel

Peat, Rhododendron, and Lakes

Today was the Monday of a Bank Holiday weekend in Ireland.  We were a little concerned that we might be caught up in heavier than normal traffic due to all of the Irish returning from holiday.  But, we only spent a few kilometers on main roads, and even those roads had light traffic. 

We left Galway on small side streets and were soon out in the suburbs on quiet country lanes.  The Eurovelo 1 route has taken us on many roads through residential areas that skirt the main roads.  The areas that we rode through coming into and leaving Galway seem to be the more affluent suburbs.  They have been full of large houses on properties big enough to support a horse or two.  We passed several riding arenas and a couple of bigger horse operations, complete with stables and riding arenas full of practice jumps for the horses.

We just can't complain about the traffic!
Heart 2 Comment 0
These country lanes are such a treat to ride. However, sometimes the surfaces are in need of attention, but without vehicles they are easy enough to maneuver.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another delightful rock bridge crossing. We anticipate a leprechaun stepping out from behind the rock wall one of these times.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This country is so picturesque.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Small river crossing.
Heart 4 Comment 0

It was a day of donning the light rain jacket and helmet cover and removing them, putting them on again, and taking them off again.  Only once did it rain hard enough to warrant the gear, but when it starts you don't know what you're in for, so we usually decided to play it safe.  One such time that we stopped to take the extra layers off, we discovered peat laying out to dry.

These are rows of commercially cut peat. The machine digs up the bog and then compresses it and lays it out to dry.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A look up close.
Heart 2 Comment 0
After the initial drying, they are stacked so that air can reach all sides to dry thoroughly. After it is dried, it is gathered up for storage and used as a heat source.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's route was very entertaining.  We didn't see much in the way of historic sites like we did the first weeks in County Cork and County Kerry.  But here in County Galway the terrain is constantly changing.  When we left the city, we passed through a section of limestone pavements once again (we have seen a lot of it since being in Doolin and riding the Burren).  But once we were about 30 kilometers along the route, we noticed some changes.  The green farms weren't surrounding us anymore.  Our 7 kilometer climb took us up through the Wind Park which was comprised of wind turbines surrounded by replanted pine forests.  The area seemed to be full of mountain bike and hiking trails.  As we descended down from this climb, we were in rhododendron alley.  We were completely surrounded by 20+ foot high Rhodies on each side of the road and they stretched out for as far as we could see.  I have always been a lover of rhododendrons ever since living in Portland, Oregon.  So on this trip I have been completely amazed at the beauty and abundance of them.  Sadly this particular varietal, rhododendron ponticum, is an invasive plant that escaped cultivated gardens a long time ago.  They form dense thickets choking out all the native vegetation, as well as, propagate rapidly with their seeds.  Apparently it is quite expensive to control and many times the land is just abandoned.

The view as we started the climb looking back at Lough Corrib.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hopefully the clouds will clear a bit - that's what the weather forecast indicates.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The road leading up the mountainside.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We're still climbing up, and the farm fencing is changing. Some rock walls, but also barb wire fencing can been seen.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The wind turbines are coming into sight and the rocks have changed. We are no longer seeing the limestone pavements, but now we are into granite boulders.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We didn't stop on the lovely descent for photos of the rhododendron alley, but here is one thicket alongside the road.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Granite boulder with flowers.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A charming rock structure - We guessed that since it has been renovated and a roof added that it may be a shepherd hut during the summer.
Heart 3 Comment 0
It is a very tranquil spot.
Heart 5 Comment 0
You can see the lake in the distance.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The iPhone camera doesn't catch the faraway photos clearly . . . but that island in the lake and the backside of the lake are full of rhododendron thickets.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We are riding along Bog Road where we are seeing a lot of peat cultivation that scars the land.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Granite boulders are protruding everywhere we look.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The weather makes it a challenge to photograph the mountains, but we are seeing yet another lake.
Heart 2 Comment 0
If you do a close up of this photo, you'll notice cars and people out in the bog. They are working the peat and setting it about for drying.
Heart 3 Comment 0

It was a long day in the saddle, but we were mesmerized by the ever changing landscape and seeing the peat bogs.  Once we arrived at Cashel House B&B, we parked the tandem in the "shed", settled in, and had to Google the rhodies and peat cultivation.  We learned quite a bit today.

Cashel House B&B (it's really a hotel rather than B&B like we've been staying in). It was difficult finding a place to stay with easy access to dinner in this section of our route.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our room - with a view!
Heart 5 Comment 0
Garden view from our room.
Heart 5 Comment 0
A brief stroll into the garden after dinner - it was misting.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Day 20: Galway to Cashel
Heart 0 Comment 0

Note to ourselves:  Rain jackets and helmet covers on / off all day.  Mostly misting with 2 sections of light rain that lasted a couple of kilometers each.

Accommodation:  Cashel House is a beautiful hotel with a wonderful atmosphere and excellent dining.  Wish we could spend a couple of nights here, but we must move on.

Today's ride: 92 km (57 miles)
Total: 1,282 km (796 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0