Transit day - We'll see you when the snow melts. - CycleBlaze

June 2, 2024

Transit day

Jacinto arrived home in the early afternoon Saturday from his three day trip. We loaded up the bikes and multiple bags of stuff. Could all of that disappear into panniers? The final decision wouldn't be made until Monday morning!

We agreed on a 7 AM departure Sunday, and were only 20 minutes late. Because Jacinto worked that last trip, we had to drive the entire ten hours in one shot. I took the beginning and end. Jacinto drove the long section through busy central Utah on I-15. Utah has changed much from when I was a little girl visiting my grandparents in tiny Santaquin. 

We stopped to eat a lackluster early dinner in Blackfoot, ID at a Mexican restaurant. Jacinto was satisfied that we both had leftovers. It's important to keep the food supply built up! 

We used the Gas Buddy app on my phone to pick the least expensive gasoline on our route. We saved .10 a gallon in Spanish Fork, UT and .16 a gallon in Challis, ID. 

Weather was cool, windy, and occasionally spitting rain for our drive. That is essentially our forecast for our first day of riding. Except we will be lucky if it is only spitting rain. 

We are settled into our room, and have gone through the bags. There's only a small pile of reject items. Jacinto says Day 3 might be the moment of choice when he starts throwing stuff out - that's our first big climb. 

We are carrying several layers of different thicknesses of clothes. That fills up the panniers. Morning will tell us what we are wearing. I'm in favor of leaving early and getting in a couple of dry hours of riding. Jacinto wants to wait for it to warm up. Warm is a relative term. We are both carrying umbrellas for the first time this trip. I hope they are insurance against rain. 

It's 10 PM and has been a busy day with the long drive and sorting out the bicycles. We should sleep well tonight.

For those who are curious - I brought the green bike with the Rohloff hub. 

Looking back down Highway 93, near Challis.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Taken from the same spot, looking to the side.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The moment of truth. Two panniers or four?
Heart 4 Comment 0
Jacinto is checking out the coffee situation. He has his own coffee pot and fixings. He is waiting until the morning to decide if it travels with us or not.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The bathroom has been updated.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 10
Larry MitchellLooking forward to following along … do enjoy your planning and thinking ahead.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Scott AndersonGood luck! Be safe, and hoping you get good weather.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
marilyn swettEnjoy your tour!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Rachael AndersonI hope all goes well and you get good weather!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithHappy pedaling! We're looking forward to following along.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Kelly IniguezTo Scott AndersonThank you for the good thoughts. We stayed dry almost all the way to town. I call that a win.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Kelly IniguezTo Rachael AndersonThe sun came out in time to wipe the bike off at the bicycle
Cleaning station at the motel. Timing is everything.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Janice BranhamExcellent choice on the bike. I have so enjoyed not worrying about broken derailleurs and dropped chains with the Rohloff hub.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Kelly IniguezTo Janice BranhamCrisp shifting! That’s my favorite thing about the Rohloff so far. Do you have trouble with yours leaking? I laid mine on its side to drive home from Tucsob, and the seals leaked. For the trip here, we put it in the van standing up. Jacinto’s Rohloff leaks, even standing up. They call it ‘seeping’. It sounds like more of a problem if you over fill when changing the oil.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Kelly IniguezI was also able to transport it standing up in a minivan. I had just changed the oil before we left in March and used all the oil that came with the change kit. It was pretty straightforward. No problems with leaking.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago