The End - The Explorers’ Ride - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2024

The End

Multi Modal Day

Yea to Tallarook by bike

Tallarook to Werribee by train. 

To Anglesea by car.

The finale was an easy,  half-day ride from Yea to Tallarook along the motor traffic-free rail trail shared with walkers, and a few horse trekkers. About 40km. I was feeling much healthier today and able to cycle at a more respectable pace. The scenery along the Goulburn River was interesting, with many billabongs and ample birdlife. 

Martin had spent the evening with friends in Melbourne who’d kindly collected him from a suburban station yesterday, and then returned him by car to the H&H route at Craigieburn this morning. 

Given the distance, I wouldn’t have time to meet him there, so we agreed to try and meet at Werribee, the end of the documented H&H route. This rendezvous coincidentally worked out within a few minutes in the mid afternoon.

Martin’s son Nick and daughter-in-law Sarah also met us there, as did the historian and author Lance Pritchard. So it was a very sociable conclusion to the ride. Not quite what the original plan had been, but a good solution to me being slowed up by the gastro illness.

It was a bit disappointing I’d been too unwell to do the full route over the past two days, but The Explorer Ride 2024 has still been a great experience. I’d like to return to do the final, southern sections as another short tour. 

Now it’s going to home by train & car via Anglesea and Albury.

Many thanks to Martin and Joanna Baker, and their family for their very generous hospitality. 

And thanks also to Peter Harper and his colleagues for the remarkable amount of work they’ve invested in developing The 2024 Explorers Ride and raising awareness of the Hume and Hovell journey 200 years ago.

The early morning fog of Yea revealed a public, free bike maintenance facility
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another morning of thick fog along along the rail trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wattle and webs
Heart 0 Comment 0
A photo for the geologists
Heart 0 Comment 0
It’s much greener and wetter in this area. Vantage point from a rail embankment
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chat with local livestock adjacent to the rail trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing the Goulburn River
Heart 0 Comment 0
Horse trekkers. One of several groups who passed today
Heart 0 Comment 0
Overview map of the Great Victoria Rail Trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
End of my ride in Tallarook. From here it was into Southern Cross Station and back to Werribee.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thanks to the Victorian Rail system for being so accommodating to bikes
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Werribee H&H monument
Heart 0 Comment 0
Martin arriving at Werribee after a full day of riding the H&H from Craigieburn
Heart 0 Comment 0
The lovely welcome party.
Heart 0 Comment 0
That’s Billy
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 391 km (243 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Joel KrewazWell done to you both. The photos of the tour were exceptional. Your efforts, very explorer like. Big days on mountain bikes. Big climbs. Lovely scenery. Hovell and Hume would be pleased.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Graham SmithTo Joel KrewazThanks for following the journey Joel. Yes the full ride, as detailed on the website, definitely needs a low geared, nobbly tyred bike with a very light load.

Or it could be done in smaller sections as a series of 2-3 day rides to focus on one or two sections at a time. There’d be other to modify to suit different abilities and time frames.

It’s certainly an interesting concept for a cycle tour. A first for me. I learned a lot.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago