We Interrupt This GAP Journal for a Brief Message from the Ohio to Erie Trail - Hopscotching the Great Allegheny Passage Trail 2024 - CycleBlaze

August 26, 2024

We Interrupt This GAP Journal for a Brief Message from the Ohio to Erie Trail

Back in 2018, Rick and I had planned a Cleveland to Columbus ride on the Ohio to Erie trail (here) but a stationary rain front turned it into a one day, one way ride from Mt. Vernon back to Rick's house in Columbus.

I had another reason to drive out to Columbus in the end of August, and talked Rick into spending a day riding the next 42 mile OTET segment, Mt. Vernon to Millersburg.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We made an early start in Millersburg to beat the heat, projected to be in the 90s.  This 42 mile segment is one of the nicest routes I've done in a long time.  There was about a 6 mile segment of hilly (but low traffic) road riding from Killbuck to Glenmont but the remaining 36 miles was mostly on wide, smooth paved trails - often shared with Amish horse and buggies that stayed on one side of the path. The output of their horses often spread across the trail...

John and Rick in Glenmont PA
Heart 1 Comment 0

After about 12 miles of easy riding from Glenmont we reached Brinkhaven and the famous Bridge of Dreams covered bridge that carried the Mohican River Trail over the Mohican River.

John in the Bridge of Dreams on the right, Rick (and evidence of Amish horses) taking his picture on the left.
Heart 1 Comment 0

From there is was another 15 miles or so, in the increasing heat, to Mount Vernon where we had a nice lunch at Flappers and then John headed back to Upper Ashton Heights Mews MD and Rick to Columbus OH.

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 110 miles (177 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0