Day 5 - Great Divide, Great Challenge - CycleBlaze

August 23, 2024

Day 5

Day 5 Stats:

Distance: 118km

Climbing: 760m

Bears: 0

Thunderstorms: 2

Flats: 0

I think I tried to force down a little too much food last night and payed for it in lost sleep due to some stomach discomfort. But it all felt fine shortly after we got moving again and we had a fast, downhill rip into the town of Whitefish. This is a town reminiscent of Fernie, BC. It has preserved some of its downtown charm and has all the nice amenities of a mountain resort town. There were beautiful bike paths leading into town from the ski and golf areas surrounding the town. We stopped for delicious crepes and coffee, updated our journals, did some planning and hit some bike shops for a few things.

My father bikepacking back in ‘ought…crap, that’s me.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Joanne RobertsonLol! Yup, we’re all getting older! Looks good on you.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

This was an unusually flat day, mostly just cruising along rural roads with only little ups and downs that added up to the day’s climbing total completely differently than yesterday’s two big sustained climbs.

Nice place to stop to dry clothes from yesterday’s laundry.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

I was just in Washington State three weeks ago and because it’s election season (for everything: governor, attorneys-general, president, and a variety of other positions) there were signs everywhere. In Montana, the signs are conspicuous by their absence. I don’t know what accounts for the difference - perhaps a stronger independent streak where people don’t feel a need to advertise or try to convince? Whatever it is, the scenery benefits.

We aimed for the town of Big Fork as it has a state campground and is the last place to resupply before we embark on a more remote 170km route to Seeley Lake.

Shelter just in time.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Along the way we saw storm clouds over the mountains and started to hear thunder. Big, cold raindrops started to fall and we managed to get to the covered door of an elementary school just as the downpour hit. We just relaxed there until it passed and then cruised into the campground.

I’d love to see BC Provincial Campgrounds do something like this.
Heart 1 Comment 3
Jacquie GaudetMe too. The only one I’m aware of is Porpoise Bay, near Sechelt.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Peter BrettTo Jacquie GaudetWe stayed in that one last year - it was good. Do you know if it’s a “no turn-away” arrangement or just first-come-first-served?
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Peter BrettFrom the BC Parks website: "Porpoise Bay Park features a camping area that is only for cyclists or for backpackers who arrive at the park without a vehicle. This is an open area with no designated campsites, but with room for approximately 10 small tents. Camping in this area is offered on a first come, first served basis and reservations are not available. The site has a communal fire pit and shared picnic tables."

The first time I stayed there, it was with a group doing the Sunshine Coast Challenge (I wasn't). I think there may have been more than 10 tents... I suspect fellow hikers and cyclists would make room if at all possible.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago

As with Washington State, BC Parks could learn a few things from Montana State Parks. Although the campground was “full” they had spots for anyone showing up on foot or by bike, and the setup is really nice: good tent pads, and a covered meal prep area with outlets and a bike repair stand, and showers. We arrived just in time too as another storm blew up quite suddenly. After better securing our tents we watched the storm from the shelter while eating our dinner. Power to the entire area appears to have been knocked out so it’s good that we got a lot of our charging needs plugged in right when we arrived.

As with Washington State a few weeks ago, my sense is that Montana drivers are more accommodating of people on bikes than BC. It’s not a clear comparison as I ride more urban environments in BC and here we’re mostly on rural roads.

Tomorrow promises to be mostly gravel, in the woods, and with lots of elevation gain.

Today's ride: 118 km (73 miles)
Total: 594 km (369 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Diane YoungIn the olden days, when I rode my bike from SF to LA, we stayed at state parks when possible. They all have hiker/biker campsites. No one who gets there on their own steam is turned away. Best of all, the HB sites are...FREE!
We were in the Mammoth Campground in Yellowstone earlier this summer and we dry camped (in our fat-ass RV) right next to the hiker/biker area. I didn't check, but sincerely hope that theirs are free too. It sure brought back memories...
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Diane YoungThe hiker/biker sites in the Oregon State Parks we stayed in c 1991 (we only cycled the Oregon part of the Pacific Coast Route) weren’t free but they were less than half a vehicle site for the two of us.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago