Day 41: The Finish! - Great Divide, Great Challenge - CycleBlaze

September 28, 2024

Day 41: The Finish!

Distance: 73km

Climbing: 158m

It was a long night in the Community Center. Our ride into Hachita had been so easy that we hadn’t tired ourselves out the way we usually do. Plus, some crickets were looking for love in all the wrong places and were very loud about it. We got up a bit early and had already packed up the night before so we were done with breakfast and a leisurely coffee by 6:30am. We tried not to be noisy so our Dutch friends could sleep but I doubt we were successful. They were staying the day as their pick-up at the border was scheduled for the following day.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

We rolled out before the sun rose and had a perfect temperature and beautiful light for the first hour or two.

Knowing that that it was only about 75km on a smooth surface with almost no elevation gain we took the opportunity to take pictures and even circle back when saw a badger. When we were riding, though, we kept the speed up, partly to celebrate with a final burst, but also to get as much done as possible before it heated up and any wind could pick up.

Heart 4 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltCane cholla

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylindropuntia_imbricata
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Badger!
Heart 2 Comment 0

Heart 2 Comment 0

Vultures.
Heart 1 Comment 0

In addition to the badger there was also a dead calf (roadkill) surrounded by vultures - how much more desert/Wild West does it get? On the drive back along the same road a few hours later we saw that coyotes had joined the vultures.

The actual finish location, the border services sign at Antelope Wells, is anticlimactic, but that’s irrelevant. Having seen it in seen pictures and videos we knew it was the finish line. I think we’ve been processing the idea of finishing over the last few days so it wasn’t just a sudden, abrupt feeling of  “we’re done.” We’ve also had easier days the last few days so it was more of a gentle denouement. I’m incredibly glad that Andrew suggested we do this and that we made it happen. It’s been an amazing adventure and challenge. We’ve seen and met people and places that we would never have encountered otherwise, and in a way that invites interaction. We’ve challenged ourselves in a way we haven’t before: it’s not just riding a loaded bike over the distances, elevation, and terrain, it’s also the up-front planning, the day-to-day logistics of eating, drinking, sleeping, and staying safe and healthy. And it’s about doing it consistently day after day for six weeks.

And of course, reaching the border isn’t quite the end of the planning and logistics. We have to get our bikes boxed up, which was challenging and time-consuming enough in the comfort of our homes, and then shepherd them through the trip home.

Looking back at the direction we came from.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
The classic shot.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltI wonder if the folks working the border crossing chuckle when they see cyclists do this...
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Peter BrettTo Bill ShaneyfeltWe assumed that they did, so might as well give them the show anyway. It’s such and arbitrary location driven only by trying to be as close to an obscure (to many) geographical feature.
Reply to this comment
4 days ago
Heart 2 Comment 1
Joanne RobertsonTotally awesome trip.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Look! A sign, and bike that’s too heavy to lift (without taking all the water and bags off).
Heart 2 Comment 1

The previous day we had asked our shuttle to come earlier: 1pm instead of 2, but we still had plenty of margin. We ended up finishing just after 10am and expected to have a few hours to wait. We got some pictures and were thinking about cooking some lunch when our shuttle showed up early. He’s used to people being conservative on the time estimate as we were. This worked out well as it got us on the road by 11am - three hours sooner than we expected. Our driver was nice, although his bike-carrying setup was a bit of a problem. We had to stop three times to rearrange the bikes so they wouldn’t get damaged by the bouncing and rubbing against each other and the walls of the trailer. The driver didn’t seem to really know the best way to do it and we ended up having to do it ourselves to get it right. The ride was also slightly terrifying and not just because we hadn’t been in a vehicle for six weeks.

Once settled into our hotel we headed out on foot to get some groceries and beer. After a nice dinner in the hotel room we relaxed by the pool in the hot tub for a bit and have nothing pressing to do until we head to the bike shop tomorrow morning to, we hope, get boxes to package up our bikes for our flights.

Andrew and I are putting together “by the numbers” list that we’ll paste into both of our journals later talking about distance, nights in tents, animals seen, etc.

In addition to a by-the-numbers summary, perhaps tomorrow, I’m thinking of writing a “beefs and bouquets” or “rants and raves” post once I’m home and have had time to think about the best and the worst of the trip.

I can’t thank my wife and son enough for being so supportive and helping me make this journey with a minimum of self-imposed guilt, and Andrew for being the perfect partner for this adventure.

Today's ride: 73 km (45 miles)
Total: 4,360 km (2,708 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 12
Diane YoungWoo-hoo! Congratulations! I'm a little behind in my reading, but decided I'd better check in today and I'm so glad I did. Time to catch up on your last few days of adventures! Wow!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Karen PoretGood job! Glad you did it! Big pat on the back for success! Fun read and great photos. Doesn’t get any better than that!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Mark M.Well done to both of you, an incredible trip. You're going to struggle to top this one, surely??
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Peter BrettProbably not in terms of distance or number of days, but there are endless possibilities for interesting places to explore, and to combine trips with vacations with family, and to do some interesting one-way trips returning (or going) by train.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Peter BrettTo Karen PoretThanks for following along!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Tim JacobCongratulations Peter. I have been following along and enjoying your journey through your posts. Sounds like you had a fantastic ride. Looking forward to more stories when you are back at the shop. Cheers Tim
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Joanne RobertsonAwesome trip! So glad you and Andrew got along well throughout. It’s so important to choose your travel partners carefully. I’m sure there are lots of epic tales of groups that fell apart enroute.

Your wife and son have been just fine, also getting along well. Missing you…a bit. 😄💕
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Bill ShaneyfeltGreat tour.

Thanks for all the posts. Enjoyed it!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
George HallCongratulations on completing a very difficult and challenging tour! Lots of folks that start this route do not complete it, so it really is a worthy accomplishment. I know from my own experiences that you will likely experience a real low, maybe even some actual depression, over the next few weeks as you settle back into "real life." But from that point you can commence planning the next tour - best of luck,
Reply to this comment
4 days ago
Peter BrettTo George HallThanks George. I can certainly see how the adjustment process could be difficult for most, and different for everybody. I feel like we’re in good shape to adjust without too much of a low, but time will tell.
Reply to this comment
4 days ago
Michael SchumannThank you Peter for the great journal. I enjoyed following your adventures. I am looking to ride the GDMBR next year and trying to decide how late in the summer I want to leave. Were you happy with when you left?
Reply to this comment
4 days ago
Peter BrettTo Michael SchumannYes, we were. Our start date was the result of choosing the earliest date we could leave based on other commitments. From that we worked backwards to look at factors like weather, chance of snow in the passes, what might be closed after Labor Day, etc. There's always a chance of snow any time of year in the highest passes, but the odds do increase significantly as you get into late September and October. We were a little faster than average, so if you're planning to do it over a longer time I would suggest starting earlier. We did run into a USFS campground where the water had been shut off, and places like Skyline Lodge were closing for the season a few days after we passed through. There will be fewer places open, and likely less running water the later in the season, so I wouldn't push it much past our dates. You're also more likely to be affected by wildfires the later you start. On the other hand, we avoided some of the worst of the summer heat and some of the places that were still open weren't as busy as they might have been.
Reply to this comment
2 days ago