Day 39: Silver City - Great Divide, Great Challenge - CycleBlaze

September 26, 2024

Day 39: Silver City

Distance: 79km

Climbing: 1192km

A shorter day so we could land at an RV park along the way. The wild camping options in this stretch look thin and we’re now out in the exposed plains with no shade and mid-30s temperatures.

The first 50km today were more lovely forests. It felt like southern Spain and the road was smooth and quiet. We passed through a small town called Pinos Altos that had a lot of very positive messages on signs on building or on lawns. It was a pretty place.

Very interesting bark.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltAlligator juniper
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniperus_deppeana
Reply to this comment
1 week ago

Pinos Altos was a nice little town with some very old buildings.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The last of the hill country we’ve really enjoyed in New Mexico.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Silver City was our last resupply so we hit the grocery store, bank, and a Mexican Restaurant for lunch. We were able to take our time as we only had a bit over 20km to the RV park. Unfortunately, that 20km was on the shoulder of a busier highway. The shoulder was wide but as always, being on the side of a highway is deeply unpleasant and this one was especially hot due to the asphalt and the almost-to-Mexico sunshine.

Toilet House - the next Toaster House?
Heart 1 Comment 1

The RV park has cold sodas, laundry, and showers, and because it was a shorter day and we have our shopping done we can relax.

Andrew giving the highway the thumbs-down.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Two other bikepackers here are a Dutch couple who live in Switzerland. This environment is just about the opposite of Switzerland, but that’s one reason we’re all out here: to experience something new and understand how and where different people live.

Today's ride: 79 km (49 miles)
Total: 4,186 km (2,600 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0