Day 3 - Great Divide, Great Challenge - CycleBlaze

August 21, 2024

Day 3

Stats:

Distance: 137km

Climbing: 970m

Start: 7:15am

End: 6pm

Bears: 0

Our wild camp turned out well and I think we both got better nights of sleep. It was a quick ride to Fernie with only a bit of highway to navigate. There was an interesting historical site along way: old coke ovens from the late 1800s where coal was heated in a low-oxygen environment to make coke which was then used for smelting metals. The entire area from Elkford to Fernie was and remains a mining area.

Coke oven ruins in Hosmer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Fernie was a real pleasure. We had bagel sandwiches and charged the batteries a bit. Then some shopping for cheap sandals/slides, groceries, and some bike supplies.

Bagels and coffee in Fernie - great little place!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Although we spent two hours in Fernie it was relatively easy cruising on dirt roads so we hit 55km by lunch. We had our first real rain of the trip on this stretch and I clearly need to figure out a better place for rain gear to make it more easily accessible.

There’s going to be weather. A few hours of rain wasn’t a big problem.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Elko is a small town we passed through and will be remembered thanks its great ice cream and burger stand. Having just had lunch we opted for ice cream and it was great.

More calories? Yes please!
Heart 0 Comment 0

As soon as we left Elko we passed into a new climatic zone. The change was abrupt as it was suddenly more arid with grasslands and ponderosa pine. Yet another beautiful landscape, different from everything up to that point.

The landscape changed quite abruptly.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Although we had considered that we might be able to cross the border this day, we hadn’t made it a goal as would be a big push, but we got to within 30km by 3pm. If we didn’t cross, the camping options would have left a lot of wasted sunlight and short of the average distance we’re aiming for (110km), so we pushed on and crossed the border by 5pm.

We rolled into Eureka, Montana at about 6pm. They have a park in town that allows tent camping on a donation basis. That’s pretty amazing and we happily set up there to have another great dinner and get organized.

It was a big day at 137km, but with less elevation to climb and smooth surfaces mostly dirt roads and some paved as well), it didn’t feel any harder.

We have a good routine and while it might sound overly regimented, being strict about wake-up times, setting timers for lunch, and dividing tasks, gives us the flexibility to stop for pictures, to explore some things along the way, enjoy a coffee in a place like Fernie, etc.

We have now completed the Canadian Section of the GDMBR (not including Jasper to Banff which is part of the official route, but not done as often). Perhaps I should have put it in the day 1 entry,  but here’s the map of the section we just completed:  Banff to the Border

Today's ride: 137 km (85 miles)
Total: 368 km (229 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Thomas RussellWonderful, seeing places never seen by auto travel. such an experience!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago