Day 23: Kremmling - Great Divide, Great Challenge - CycleBlaze

Day 23: Kremmling

Distance: 105km

Climbing: 1908m

The riding today was great! 95% unpaved, phenomenal views most of the time, roads hugging steep mountainsides…. It was also tough going as there was a lot of elevation and as nice as it is to be off the pavement, the riding is more physical.

Leaving camp.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Crossing a dam first thing in the morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Goats!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Unexpected water crossing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dust when trucks go by.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The headwaters of the Colorado River (it is the continental divide after all).
Heart 0 Comment 0
After a long descent to the river, soon to be followed by a long ascent.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had planned to restock in Kremmling and then carry on another 20km to a camp site, but we didn’t have the legs or the time to continue past Kremmling. It means that hitting Breckenridge tomorrow evening might be a bit too ambitious, but fortunately there are other options closer like Silverthorn or Frisco. We’d like to get a hotel tomorrow night and then get an early start on Boreas Pass, the second-highest pass on the entire route. Breckenridge would be the perfect start, but Frisco would be fine too.

Once we decided we were staying in Kremmling we found an RV park that accepts tents (not all do) and had dinner at a nice little Mexican place. You know you’re hungry when you clean your plate at a Mexican restaurant and start thinking about dessert.

Almost enough food.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 105 km (65 miles)
Total: 2,662 km (1,653 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0