Day 20 - Great Divide, Great Challenge - CycleBlaze

September 7, 2024

Day 20

Distance: 118km

Climbing: 682m

Animals: fox, rattlesnake (first one!)

A warmer morning greeted us in the middle of the basin. With 90km to go to Rawlins we thought we’d be there in the late afternoon, but the road was smooth, packed dirt, the wind was calm, and there wasn’t much elevation so we had already done 70km by noon which is a record for us. There was a section that was paved where we rode team time-trial style with Todd (swapping the lead every few minutes giving everyone a rest in the draft).

Morning in the basin.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Cruising.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Along the way we passed a rattlesnake in the middle of the road. We circled back to check it out and saw an RV approaching in the distance. We managed to shoo it off the road, but the RV turned out to belong to a couple we had met in Atlantic City. He was riding the same route as us, but his wife was driving the RV and meeting him at the end of each day - nice deal! So they stopped and we chatted a bit.

Our first rattlesnake sighting; apparently a rare variety.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Rawlins was a great place to resupply as we had potentially had another 200km stretch to cover to Steamboat Springs with few or no spots to resupply.

Heart 3 Comment 1
Heart 0 Comment 0
Camp after passing through Rawlins.
Heart 2 Comment 0

There’s a well-known lodge, Brush Mountain Lodge, along the way but we had heard it was closed for 2024, but it turns out that it has reopened so it’s our destination for tomorrow. We’ve had so many free night of camping that the occasional nice, paid spot is an easy choice to make.

Our site tonight is free but has the all-important picnic bench and outhouse. Very civilized.

We’ll be in Colorado tomorrow.

Today's ride: 118 km (73 miles)
Total: 2,322 km (1,442 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0